Jambands.ca

Folk, OM, 000 size recommendations/

SolarGarlic

Any recommendations for smaller sized guitars at a good price? Ideally looking for something around $300 but would go up a little if need be.

We already have a couple of nice dreadnoughts kickin around but they are too nice to be used for this purpose.

Basically looking to get a solid body guitar that my gf doesn't have to worry about getting banged around as it will be used everyday for therapy sessions with a wide variety of people. The smaller size will keep her comfortable but should also sound nice (obviously). She plays all styles but likes finger style the best. She is also in love with the full tones of her Martin....

I have been checking out the guitar shops and haven't found any amazing deals yet.

I'm wondering if there are any "no name" or "knock off" brands or good values that people have come across. I will likely be buying something used.

She is not a fan of Seagull guitars or Art and Lutherie (feels they sound too thin).

I'd check out Seagulls again. Nice small fretboard for small hands, stay in tune through almost any weather, sturdy and they are not 'thin' sounding- that may have just been the strings on the one she tried out. Mine sounds awesome, gets tossed around, was cheap and is still my fav.........Its about 11 years old and I have never attempted to do anything good for the instrument and it just keeps sounding great.

It's difficult to find solid-bodied guitars at that cheap of a price. Has your wife(?) tried all the Seagulls/Normans in that price range? I've found really nice deep sounding Normal and/or Seagull guitars near that price range. Of course, if you look for smaller sized guitars, the sound can get thinner. Also, something as simple as thicker strings and a set-up can help bring out the thicker sound.

Why don't you PM Dave from nero (Pablo Sanchez)? He's a legit guitar guru and runs his own guitar shop.

I hear you guys on the Seagull issue. Really, I think she needs to realize that it won't sound like the Martin. I've been looking around for an S6+Folk to check out but none of the local dealers have one in stock (which I find odd b/c I believe it is a popular model)

The price range is a little tight but I have consistently seen solid body Seagulls selling for that.

Again, just looking to see if anyone has any nuggets of info out there. I have heard nothing but good things about Norman guitars and NEVER see them for sale used (a good sign maybe?)

My nugget of info would be to encourage her to try out as many guitars in that range as possible. Then she will come to terms with what you both know...

If you can find a guitar that holds tune and has relatively decent intonation for $300 - take it. Doesn't matter what brand or model it is.

I would recommend a Yamaha - usually the cheapest but most solid guitars.

The cheap Yamahas aren't solid guitars. They may have solid tops (debatable), but the back and sides normally aren't solid on the cheap models. The cheap Yams are also made in Taiwan whereas the Normans and Seagulls are made in North America.

Anything for $300 is going to be questionable - my experience of playing guitar for 15 years has suggested that Yamahas are the most reliable and inexpensive guitars that stay in tune. Normans and Seagulls, Art Luthier are ok - but I would shy away from any other brand in the low price market.

I had an acoutic/electric Yamaha APX with cut-away and it served me well over 5 years of playing it live - I paid about $600 for it. I unfortunately lost that guitar in a freak VW Bus fire. I'm playing a Art Luthier guitar now - it does the trick.

Aren't Art Luthiers off-shore Seagulls?

It is a real challenge finding good high and low-end guitars. I have an old Yamaha acoustic. It's pretty good, but not nearly as playable as Booche's Seagull that retailed around the same price, although a decade apart. I've played cheapo Seagulls and top-end ones that run over a grand and change; they sound amazingly consistent.

I would try and find a used Martin 000X1 We sell them new for $525.00 so I would imagine you could find a used one for $350 or $400 maybe? Solid top, totally questionable back and sides, but you know it really does sound like a Martin, and if that is the sound you're looking for, you really won't find it anywhere else. Especially in that price range.

If you look around $500 there are so many more options open to you. (such as a new Martin or Taylor)

Godin, Norman, Seagul, simon and patrick, lapatrie, and art and lutherie, are all the same company and the acoustics are really only minor variations on a theme. great guitars for the money.

Edited by Guest

Good call on the Martin, Pablo. I wasn't aware of that model but sounds like something to look at and keep the eyes open for.

Any knowledge about the Breedlove Passport series? Specifically the OM-FS model? Seems like another possibly good deal used. They sell for $400 new and are solid through and through. has the 3/4" nut width but she was drooling over a $2500 Guild CV series guitar that had the same dimensions...

Breedlove seems to be a solid company and these guitars have decent reviews but I don't see them around much.

I entirely suggest looking at Parlour Guitars.

Al the ones I've played have made me so happy. They've got a full sound but still sound like it's a shorter scale. They're loud and smaller...

It's a nice thought to want totally solid guitars, but still PLAY other guitars. You might want to get a guitar with a ply top or sides. If you find a guitar you really really love, to not buy it because it's got plywood in it would be altruistic and silly.