Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Bills vs. Steelers Aug. 14

Basher

I read there were about 5000 empty seats and scalpers were having a hard time selling them...

[color:blue]"However, the attendance has to be deemed a disappointment considering event organizers are paying the Bills an average of $9.75 million per game to showcase the NFL in Canada's largest city and prove it can be home to a full-time franchise. Steep ticket prices, ranging from $75 to $575, certainly didn't help as hours before the game scalpers were having trouble unloading high-end tickets for substantially less than half price.

One scalper, who would only give his first name as Fred, had 20 tickets fanned out like a deck of playing cards, including many of the high-end $575 duckets that he was willing to unload for $200. Trouble was, he wasn't finding many takers.

"Not so good," he said when asked how business was going. "It's an exhibition game and in Buffalo these are $60 tickets and they want $500 for them here."

Did the Rogers Empire price the tickets above what the market would bear? You bet your arse they did. I am sure, quietly, they are investigation the option of "revising" the prices to a level the market would find acceptable. The big problem with that is the PR nightmare they will face. Yes, I would assume tickets will be easy to come by in December, but it won't be anything like yesterday.

I will say this - the "VIP Experience" they had going in the 200 level was like nothing I have ever seen before at ANY sporting event.

great time at the game last night. Thanks for the good company too Brian and Jay. Fun experience seeing the NFL in our city. Definitely has a different feel to it compared to the CFL. Gotta say, both are great entertainment and the NFL cheerleaders are of a higher calibre ;)

The VIP experience was a treat. Kickass food and no waiting for any of it.

The only thing lacking was the intensity of a "real" game that counts. The game in December should be of a whole different level (unless the Bills and Dolphins aren't in playoff contention at that point ).

Thanks again SP ... YOU ROCK!

Look at the stands in all NFL stadiums during preseason - there are nowhere close to 48k people in them.

What?

You're fucking making shit up because this year and every year I see full houses in the 'supposed' big markets. They may not stay in their seats but those fuckers were there at some point. I'm not saying I am an expert because the only pre-season game I ever went to was an LA Raiders-Rams game in 94 but that house was psychotically packed even though it was a terrible market for both teams. Pre-season schedules are well thought out by the NFL.

If you dont think Toronto was a marquee setup and SHOULD have sold-out than I have nothing else to say, not that I am putting words in your mouth......................

The Raiders-Titans game last night may have been a sell-out, but there were plenty of empty seats in the top deck. The cameras were careful not to shoot the top level, but on occasion it couldn't be avoided.

McFadden looked good though. Vince Young, not so much.

I read a report the other day that Rogers gave away nearly 17000 tickets to the preseason game. So I guess they tried to sell it out to themselves.

Some reports were saying that scalpers were selling $500 tickets for $30 and they still couldn't unload them. I've been surfing some of the Buffalo forums and they are not impressed with everything Rogers.

The Buffalo Bills did not sell out their game in Toronto, but they did create long lineups at the border crossings. Many overweight, beer drinking, cigar chomping fans did come to Canada. And, of course, their husbands.

Brian Newman

Ottawa

(Ouch)