Jambands.ca

73 VW Westy For Sale - $2500 - !!! Pics Added !!!

Irie Guy

Well just find out that we will be heading back to Ethiopia and I need to generate some much needed cash.

Update 08/24/08 - Added link to pics

73 VW Westfalia Pics

I have a 73 Westy that I have owned since Spring 95. "Franklin" has been our daily driver on a number of different occasions. Has taken us up and down the East Coast and into the Midwest. Was a tour sled it was or Mobile Shop for Festival Vending and served us real well. It has been sitting idle for a couple years now. I always imagined that I would sink a bunch of money into it but I've quickly realized that that will never happen.

Will make a great project for anyone. Is basicaly complete but needs some TLC. Surface rust is showing on the seams and the canvas needs replacing but overall is still in pretty good shape for what it is.

I really have no idea what I should ask for it, I don't want to sell myself short. Any advice on pricing would be grand. And anyone possibly interested just let me know.

Matt

Edited by Guest

I've owned 3 VW Buses - I miss them all!

1/ '78 Green

Traveled from Toronto to San Francisco back to Halifax over a 1 month period. Hit Phish in Albany in '99. Blew up on Girlfriend's trip to Toronto - after $2,000 in repair - the Van's engine seized and was traded away for parts.

2/ '84 Yellow

Traveled all over Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario promoting the Evolve Festival. Stopped working randomly in a KFC Parking lot in Antigonish.

3/ '88 White

Traveled all over Ontario - doing two festival trips to Evolve Festival. On tour in 2007 it caught fire and burned to the ground.

It will take me a couple of days to get the pics up. Going to Dylan tomorrow night might not get to pics until Thursday or Friday.

More details for now.

I believe I am the 3rd real owner on this baby. Odometer has never been rolled AFAIK. 4 spd, 1700 CC, Dual Carb. Pop up with Cot. Also have the cot for the front seats which always made a great place for storage once parked. Ice Box and Water Pump. Piss poor Cassette Stereo that had No Doy running through it over and over again lol. I do also have somewhere in a box the Fire Hazard Gas Heater if the new owner is crazy enough to reinstall it. Had the clutch rebuilt probly 10 years ago and at the same time Cylinder #3.

Used to be pretty littered with Tour Stickers but they have mostly worn off due to UV exposure. Lots of good vibes and karma in the old bus. It was Hempopotamus' home on the road for many years and saw us to many many festivals. I always imagined that I would keep it for the boys one day.

Will get pics up soon.

I've added some photos. A couple other things to note. Driver's side Front Signal and Rear Side Marker lenses needs replacing. Sliding door appears to be stuck in the locked position.

I will have to figure that out. 51000 Miles which is original mileage as far as I know. I have owned it for 13 years.

Anyhow heres a link to some pics. I will get more once I get that side door open.

73 Westy Pics

I've owned 3 VW Buses - I miss them all!

1/ '78 Green

Traveled from Toronto to San Francisco back to Halifax over a 1 month period. Hit Phish in Albany in '99. Blew up on Girlfriend's trip to Toronto - after $2,000 in repair - the Van's engine seized and was traded away for parts.

2/ '84 Yellow

Traveled all over Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario promoting the Evolve Festival. Stopped working randomly in a KFC Parking lot in Antigonish.

3/ '88 White

Traveled all over Ontario - doing two festival trips to Evolve Festival. On tour in 2007 it caught fire and burned to the ground.

thats a great owner's review if i've ever heard one.

2 fires and a random complete breakdown.

i've heard plenty of horror stories about these buses..... ie: rear axel breaking in two while on the highway killing 3 passengers.

maybe as a novelty vechical....but you wouldn't catch me in one of these things on long distance trips.

then again...image is important for you hippy types.

Edited by Guest

thats a great owner's review if i've ever heard one.

2 fires and a random complete breakdown.

Jay's reviews of owning VDub's certainly doesn't help my cause.

No it doesn't help your case, but every car can and will have random breakdowns. As for the fires, whomever the new owner is, they should swap out the fuel lines, this is the main cause of bus fires.

The Samba is definately where its at when it comes to VW, possibilities are endless with the help of that site.

As for a good local help look to www.germansupply.com

Irie Guy.... I may have some sliding door parts, if ya figure whats not working let me know I'll take a look. My door had stopped working, so I bought a used set of parts and just kept swapping them out until it started working.

If I had a bigger driveway i'd be checking this bus out, looks good.

Irie Guy.... I may have some sliding door parts, if ya figure whats not working let me know I'll take a look. My door had stopped working, so I bought a used set of parts and just kept swapping them out until it started working.

Mulvee it's not that the door has stopped working, the door is stuck in the lock position. I can't turn the key to unlock it. I might get a turn of 20 degrees before it really feels like I am forcing the key which I don't want to do. If I could get the damn door unlocked It would open no problem. Any advice???