Jambands.ca

Bass Players:

SaggyBalls

What truly sets Echolution apart are the Multi-Tap toggle switches which introduce any combination of five additional echoes at musical fractions of the master delay time. The values of these fractions are based on quarter notes and triplets. Engaging the PHI switch realigns all of these fractions to values based on the Golden Ratio. The Golden Ratio creates a spiral rhythm that is found throughout the universe. It is observed in the shapes of galaxies, sea shells, DNA, the Egyptian Pyramids as well as in the work of many great musicians.

It can also be used for looping.

Phi Echolution

echo500real.jpg

WhaOne_angle.jpg

It's a wah, it's a volume, it's an envelope filter. It's made in Sweden and I think I want one.

WahOne

Anybody ever play any of these?

• 2 weeks later...

robpedals1smallez3.jpgrobpedals2smallty1.jpg

So Rob Deerhak has 2 synths(boss and electro harmonix), a sweet delay, the Pigtronix EP-1 (an envelope following phaser), Moog Low Pass Filter, Moog Phaser, Wooly Mammoth Fuzz, and Fulltone Bass Drive (as well as a tuner, amp footswitch),

Maybe he's playing through a new amp, but I always loved the tone he got out of that MesaBoogie. Big huge amps...make me wish I had a need for a roadie.

I have a fender jazz bass with round wounds and I'd like to get a lower tone. I'm thinking of putting on some flat wounds but I've never used them personally (I've played a friends p-bass with flat wounds and liked it).

Has anyone on here done this? Pros or cons to doing it? I assume my Jazz would need to get setup for the flat wounds?

You may have to intonate your bass. A setup is always good but you could probably do that yourself with the right allen keys and screwdriver.

I don't think there are any cons to changing strings.

If the gauge is the same there might be very little to setup.

I say go for it. Flats are great.

Thanks YT! I've never done any setups myself so i'm a little timid to try although I know it's something that I really should learn how to do.

Is there anything I should be wary of?

From a bass nerd messageboard:

The only effects cliff ever used were wah, fuzz, delay (damage inc intro) leslie (orion intro) and i remember having a live bootleg from 85 which i'm sure he also used some kind of octave splitter on bells.

From Wikipedia:

Effects

Chrome Tel-Ray Morley Power Wah Fuzz. (discontinued since 1983)

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff.

So do you mean delay or do you mean rotating speaker, nattyMatty?

Fuzz...it's pretty classic.

If you start building gated fuzz pedals with a buffered direct out you'll be making some highly sought after boutique distortion...for bass players at least.

I suggest the direct out for any effects with externally controlled envelope following.

Put a ring mod and Octave before, an envelope filter after the fuzz, phase and then tremolo and you've got some crunchy synthy bliss.

Oh and Tooly...get a pinup of a lovely lady with her hands in a big fluffy muff...you know, the tube that ladies used to use to keep their hands warm in the winter?

410976066_b134e769da.jpg

Like that but perhaps less undressed...at least keep a modicum of class.

Maybe find a way to put a lamp behind her.

How appropriate that this is the fuzz I'll probably wait around for.

551961.jpg

Edited by Guest
humility

• 2 weeks later...

So time on the internet looking up gear and trying to optimize my dollars (future spending for sure) I'm trying to find a way to have it all but have less.

I've seen several players using multi effects units and I just can't get my head around buying one box that does everything. I can rationalize it but it just makes me want to not use anything at all, even considering my 'dream' setup would be way bigger, more awkward, and expensive...but analog.

My favourite tones have come from big loud rigs with just a few pedals, if any.

Ideally I just want big sound with portability.

SO! I found a potential solution. I hope it seems like a good idea for other people too cause it makes me feel at least a bit clever.

496895.jpg

Speaker Main Rolling Bags!!

they fit small cabinets with room enough to spare for a small pedalboard or an amp head, and have pockets for cabling.

496894.jpg

And if you'd need a pedalboard I'm sure that either a double gig bag or a mini keyboard gig bag would work for most people.

So a GigBag, Amp roller, and Pedalboard bag. Definitely makes walking to the gig or practice not out of question if it's walkable (of course)

Hey Rob - we sell those Arriba bags where I work. Alternatively most companies that make powered speakers make a bag or little rollie thing for them - JBL Eon's, Mackie SRM, RCF, Yorkville etc...good idea, only a couple DJ's I know do that for their gigs.

An alternate is just a cover for the speaker, as most powered speakers have a handle to carry them with...but then pedalboard etc would have to go in another case.

Check out offerings from Gator Cases or Odyssey cases - they make lots of cool related stuff...

I've been looking around and that's just one case I've found.

I like the pockets and the 100lb weight rating. Of course there's always luggage wheels and such with a cab cover, but I'd like to have a rolling bag...or at least have the option.

My big concern is that the cabs I've been looking at are 17" wide when standing up tall like that. 2" too wide so it's going to either custom cabs or finding a smaller cabinet.

Of course there are a couple of cabinets that have impressed me and fit so I might not have to worry.

This wouldn't be for a powered speaker. It's for a speaker cabinet. There's enough spare room for my head. If I were to get the smaller cab I was looking at there'd also be room for a pedalboard along the side.

But the 2060 Slant from Dr. Bass looks awesome too..."just" too wide.

www.drbasscabs.com

• 1 month later...

robpedals1smallez3.jpgrobpedals2smallty1.jpg

So Rob Deerhak has 2 synths(boss and electro harmonix), a sweet delay, the Pigtronix EP-1 (an envelope following phaser), Moog Low Pass Filter, Moog Phaser, Wooly Mammoth Fuzz, and Fulltone Bass Drive (as well as a tuner, amp footswitch),

Santa finally arrived and of the 8 pedals on Deerhak's board, I have 2. One of those synth pedals and the Envelope Phaser.

I won that EP-1 (thanks to you skanks) and got

a Disnortion.

disnortion_tilt.jpg

But unfortunately I need to send it away under warranty...the overdrive channel isn't working properly...but the fuzz and Octava are awesome. I'm entirely impressed so far and the thing's broken. I think that drive channel might just be the secret of that deep round B3 sound. More to come as it can.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking about dropping my 5 string for a fretless 4.

One's come my way as a trade...same standard 7ender, same value if they were both new...

...but this one's pretty much brand new.

Should I do it? All cosmic signs point to 'yes'

I've wanted a fretless for awhile and I was just talking about it today when I was at my local music store looking to see what I could get for my 5 string.

• 1 year later...