Jambands.ca

Bass Players:

SaggyBalls

do you mean like the bass pedals of a b3?

thats a broad question. it would be a combination of alot of things. bass, amp, eq. I would say you would need a compressor as well.

also it would be in how you play it.

I know some old stingrays have foam muted under the strings, to give it more of a thumpy muted sound. kinda reminds me of a b3 pedals.

Edited by Guest

yeah...like a b3 organ. foot pedals.

I'm trying to make this

800px-Human_Hand.JPG

feel a bit more like like this

elv007.jpg

there's a lot in the playing but I'm thinking tone of rig.

I should have my amp again in the next couple of weeks and it gives me a lot of options as it's a pretty ballsy amp with modelling, comp, gate and parametric EQ. I'll probably find something that comes close, but it's always nice to seek advice.

Try investing in some tape-wound strings. I'm presently using the Labella BeatleBass Nylon Tape Wound strings with my vintage Hagstrom HB-II and I've got some of the deepest bass tone I've heard...and they last for an eternity!

I had to play a gig the other day and ended up going through the headlining acts rig...the bassist for Bedouin Soundclash...with my bass set-up, and his Ampeg set for an ultra low Dub/Reggae sound; the bass line was so deep you could feel the vibrations in Jamaica....he was asking me about my bass later through the evening and how I got "that tone"...

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

yeah...like a b3 organ. foot pedals.

I'm trying to make this

800px-Human_Hand.JPG

feel a bit more like like this

elv007.jpg

sweet christ someone tell me why no one has picked up on this pictorial simile for jerking off?? I just checked this thread now and there it is! It's even got the quotable text!

...ok so anyway...b3 pedals. not actually much bass in there - it's a lot of distortion on the harmonics - tube amps and old papercone big ass woofers...and probably a leslie too. So an old amp, distortion and chorus pedals and all the highs rolled-off on the bass should get you in the ball park. Might be a little too much up to the bass/amp combo.

If you are thinking loooowwww bass pedals maybe the Moog taurus I/II?

Try investing in some tape-wound strings. I'm presently using the Labella BeatleBass Nylon Tape Wound strings with my vintage Hagstrom HB-II and I've got some of the deepest bass tone I've heard...and they last for an eternity!

Yeah I have Black Nylon Strings on my Hofner and they kick ass. My brother has them on his P-Bass too and I agree they do provide some beautiful low end and they're smooth as hell to play.

I remember playing a Phill Jones Bass Rig in Langley BC when my friend was trying out some Bogner guitar amps.

Anybody heard of these amps?

www.philjonesbass.com

their deal is big clean power with lots of tiny speakers. Apparently Phil Jones has worked with Boston Acoustics Loudspeakers. I remember seeing his speakers before in magazines and online. Now he's making some impressive bass gear.

Most of the PJB stuff I see is their briefcase combo amps

1156.jpg

but I played this

1333.jpg

through this

1329.jpg

but after I took the brochure home I saw this

1337.jpg

and wondered if anybody else was using high end loudspeaker cabinet designs with baffles to get a fuller, more propagated soundwave on stage.

I really liked playing through that rig although it was far more of a hi-fi/full sound than I'd expected and didn't really rip into anything in the store.

I saw this

1158.jpg

and thought that it was everything I was looking for in a gigging combo that I didn't have, but all I really need right now to get stage power is a 4 ohm cabinet, as my amp works 500W at 2 ohms.

228571.jpg

So far the cabinet that's impressed me the most has been this:

2200-df67d9ca3e2ccb1c618b18cc37b09480.jpg

but now after seeing the PJB catalogue again I can also use this

1387.jpg

Those speakers are 5"...don't be fooled into thinking that's a big speakerbox.

the hartke and PJB are the only cabinets I've found that are both 4ohms

the PJB has a low end down to 25hz

with a top over 12k

These cabinets are both under 75 lbs and have wheels, butthe Hartke isn't so portable

the PJB is 54 lbs and the Hartke is 74 lbs...

I love you Tungsten.

i have a polyphase pedal that I need to get doctored up that works with envelope control, so I'll get to have that ramp up/down effect. Not so chorus, but still a mod.

My amp has some drive and compression settings too so with the EQ I'll be able to get a lot going when the time comes to fart around with settings.

1001081pjb_neo6b_lg2_1.jpg

no huge woofers, but easy to cart around. Just called Act 1 music in Langley and their price was $849.

I'm generally glad to see new companies making impressive gear that players enjoy playing.

Anybody else see anything both cool and useful these days?

Edited by Guest

I use all david eden stuff... its pretty high fi..

I have a 410T and a 210 xlt.. but I am seriously considering going to a 410 xlt, or even giving it all up and going ampeg fridge style.

I need the volume as I am playing with the loudest drummer I have evr played with and I have trouble getting over him with my 410T

Bass Player

Transcribed from: Comedy Central

Transcribed by both: KdsInThHal@aol.com and I Hecubus@aol.com

[Opens with Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet playing music, Bruce McCulloch sitting in a chair playing bass. Kevin McDonald appears from behind Bruce]

Kevin: That's the best bass player I ever heard. He's playin' so sweet, I'm gettin' chubby. You know what I like best about the bass player? His neck.

[bruce bobs his head a few times]

Kevin: Oh, he made a little mistake. You may not have noticed it, but if you did, I think you'll enjoy my tale. Hmmm....

[singing:] The mother, the father, the serpent, the priest. The foreman, the woman, the widow, the beast.

Hey, bass player. Look at the bass player. Look at that smile, there's sadness in that smile. Look at that chord structure, there's sadness in that chord structure. Look at him flail like the wailin' wall with nothin' but stubby fingers and a dumb look on his face. He don't know it but he's balding...spiritually. But everybody hates the bass player. No one invites the bass player to the party after the show.

Bruce: Hey, what are you guys doin' after the show? Oh, nothin'? Okay.

Kevin: If he does go to the party, he can only get the good looking girl's... best friend.

Bruce: Is Heather coming?

Kevin: [laughing] Heather...The bass player is the loser of the band, yes he is, if you don't believe me take a look at the one you're with. But, there's something beautiful about the bass, sometimes when I listen to it, I--I don't know, I get caught up in the swirl, I'm flying, I'm flying Ma, over a big beautiful lake. He's playing the bass and I'm flying. Sometimes when I land I'm in a different neighborhood, but that's okay, 'cause whenever I listen to the bass player, I always bring cab fare. But after all, aren't we all bass players? Aren't you all bass players? They told me this was a bass players convention, you are all bass... Pick up the beat, pick up the beat. Hide the sadness, and tap your feet.

Singing: The mother, the father, the serpent, the priest. The foreman, the woman, the widow, the beast. Aren't you glad that you're not one?

[Kevin hides behind Bruce's chair and SMOASP begin playing once again]

Best thing Eden ever did was break away from SWR.

Great stuff - entirely popular gear.

The big thing I notice about Eden rigs is their scooped out sound. More low end can push around fewer low mids.

If you ever need to get a backup head and see a cheap SWR floating around the used market snap it up because all you need to do is turn down those low mids and you'll have something pretty close to what you've got. The SWR line seems pretty rugged.

Anybody know anything about midi footswitches?

I need to store more patches/settings than the 5 presets I have.

Any help is huge.

See I think you got eden totaly wrong.

they pride themselves on having as flat a response as possible. there cabs are VERY flat across the frequency range. I think the scooping you talk about comes from there enhance control, which scoops the mids and boosts the lows and highs.

I have mine off. I run my amp totaly flat with no eq at all, and my bass totaly flat as well... and it sounds incredible.

Its the backbone of the tune.

Drummers give you accents and dynamics. Guitars give you the flavours and ass-kickin's.

But the bass lays down the vibe.

I had only played bass a handful of times over about fourteen years. Then, my brother brought me his (BC Rico Eagle) as it was sitting in a basement not being used. Now I'm gigging with two bands and can't get enough of it.

My neighbour plays like Jaco and has agreed to take me on as his student. Pretty stoked to start developing a bit better technique.

Buying into the technology will take a financial miracle...

I have the Zoom B3 which lets me dick around with presets, but I fully see the limitations of the system. I bought it so I could practice with the pre-amp run into headphones then I was given the Cube 60.

I liked your amp. Basic, loud, solid...I don't know when I'll be around again but I'd love to play around with that big Yorkville...

...wait...lessons? We could have a session together and play a bunch of stuff. Got a mic for your computer? It could be a really fun day with You, Me, and Andre Michelle. Thanks for that link to his audiotools you posted months and months ago. Awesome tool for a rhythm track.

I liked your amp. Basic, loud, solid...I don't know when I'll be around again but I'd love to play around with that big Yorkville...

Thanks for that link to his audiotools you posted months and months ago. Awesome tool for a rhythm track.

In case anybody missed it, here are those links.

http://lab.andre-michelle.com/fl-909

or for a more diverse set-up try this, which Yours Truly pointed out to me:

http://www.hobnox.com/index.1056.de.html

Wife, child and dog are out for the night so I actually get to turn it up tonight. I'm playing the blues though cause I miss them. Good Times.

• 3 weeks later...