Jambands.ca

QOTD - 09/16/08

scottieking

it's a futile question to answer, just like anything to do with a label or genre.

i like buck owens but hate the dixie chicks

i like gram parsons but hate toby keith

i like hank williams and johnny cash but hate keith urban and garth brooks.

they're all considered 'country' but that's just because it's too large an umbrella. just like 'rock' or 'pop' or 'jazz' etc etc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised about all the country music love 'round here. After all, it was the rootsiness of the Grateful Dead that segued me into loving country music.

I would have to agree with that. I think the Grateful Dead influenced me to check out *lots* of music that I might not have otherwise. I remember that I bought Kind Of Blue because I read that Jerry Garcia said it was awesome in an interview somewhere.

I used to cringe when my dad played country music when I was a kid. I remember going on long raod trips with him where I would sit in the back seat, covering my ears with tears streaming down my face because it felt like torture to my music-loving soul.

Now - Me likely the country! I have to say it.

Grateful Dead was the beginning of the turning point for me. Also talking about our country music upbringing with Catphish helped the healing a lot and Ryan Adams, Jacksonville City Nights is the best country I've ever heard. I blast that shit!