Jambands.ca

Thanksgiving dinner

berk

We’re hosting thanksgiving at our house this year and decided to try to do the majority of the meal locally. I’m skipping the bird because I rarely deal with meat, thus feel uncomfortable shoving my hands up its….gizzard….. Instead we’ll be making a vegetarian and a beef stew – stew meat courtesy of my neighbour’s cow, veggies from the garden. The details of the menu are being worked out and somewhat influenced by whatever we’ve harvested from the garden. We’ll probably make a cabbage salad and roast some red peppers…. maybe even a roasted red pepper soup…hmmm…. I'll be baking my first apple pie for dessert but I may have to cheat with the flour.

We’ve made pickles and will pick up some locally made cheese. Beaus beer will be served (all local ingredients except for the organic malt), as well as some fruit wines from a nearby winery.

It’s been a fun challenge building this menu. Anyone else have meal plans for thanksgiving?

Getting up at 1:00pm and after 4 hours of sleep (night-shift) and then hopping in a car and driving to Kingston for Thanksgiving. I'll mash the potatoes, make a fuss out of not eating turnip, have some wine, eat some turkey and then I'll hop in my car and head back to Toronto. I love the holidays, but shift-work not so much.

Edited by Guest

I hope my Thanksgiving dinner doesn't include the following:

- raisins and/or nuts in the stuffing/dressing

- mashed potatoes too creamy or not whipped enough (unlikely since I kick ass at making mashed potatoes)

- not enough gravy

- not enough wine

- no pie for dessert (pumpkin pie rules)

- overcooked turkey

- being forced to eat turnip

- political talk at the dinner table with my Conservative (re: Reform) uncle

It's a good thing I'm not going to my cousin's place or a family friend's house for Thanksgiving where I had to endure some of what was on my list; one time I had Cornish hens with raisin stuffing. Yuck. My mom's a good cook, so dinner will be great, though I can't vouch for my uncle not laying into a political rant during dessert.

Crystal's brother and I are reroofing Crystal's mum's place on saturday so I'd imagine I'll be quite thirsty afterward

I know precisely what's on, foodwise. turkey, mash, carrots & turnip, brussel sprouts, gravey, peas, a small dish with pickles and chedder cheese, cran, and muchos vino. and it'll be fantastic as long as i don't eat too much

feck i love turkey sandwiches

It's just the two of us and yesterday we were busy so tonight we'll be having our "thanksgiving" dinner.

I'll be making a butternut squash and artichoke risotto, with some steamed asparagus as a side. Me, I'll be doing something (not sure what yet - suggestions?) with two small chicken legs involving fresh red chili peppers. Laurie gets tofu, ha ha. Crack a bottle of wine and off we go.