Jambands.ca

D'oh!

Velvet

B.C. dad arrested after baby dials 911 from grow-op

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 | 2:49 AM PT Comments108Recommend89The Canadian Press

A B.C. man probably wishes he had given his 11-month-old son a set of keys to play with instead of a phone, after the infant accidentally dialed 911 and brought police to his dad's marijuana grow-op.

Mounties say a 911 call came in from a residence in White Rock, B.C., on Friday morning, but whoever was on the other end of the line hung up.

Officers arrived at the residence, and after numerous knocks on the door went unanswered, they entered the home.

"The gentleman was quite surprised," said White Rock RCMP Const. Janelle Canning.

She said the 29-year-old man, startled by the sudden sight of police, insisted he hadn't made the call.

When it was suggested a child might have dialled, the father objected and said his son was far too young.

That's when police spotted the baby boy, phone in hand.

"We saw him playing with the cordless phone and just pressing all the buttons, so evidently he had called 911," Canning said.

With that mystery solved, officers began inspecting the residence and soon discovered a 500-plant marijuana grow-op.

The father was arrested and will appear in court in early April on charges of production of a controlled substance and mischief.

The boy was removed from the home by the Ministry of Children and Family Development, though he was later released into his mother's custody.

The mother does not live in the residence and had no idea what was going on at the home, Canning said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/01/21/police-call.html

The previous message was Steph posting as me. What I wonder about is:

With that mystery solved, officers began inspecting the residence and soon discovered a 500-plant marijuana grow-op.

Don't police need a search warrant to start searching the premises or is it different if there's been a 911 call (even one that was plainly and obviously the child, though in that statement, plainly might not mean factually and assumptions do make an arse our of U and Me...)

Edited by Guest

A 911 call from a premises is probable cause to search the entire house.

I kinda thought that but wanted someone else to say it as the phone could have been given to the child to make it LOOK like it was the fault of the child...

I'm always paranoid of little Trey calling 911 since if he sees the phone, he immediately goes after it and I think it's designed that holding down 9 will dial 911...

Isn't it simply obvious that if a 911 call comes from a residence by someone who was unable to speak into the phone for an unknown reason, it is prudent for the police to take a look around the place to make sure there isn't someone tied up in the basement?

That's entirely obvious. But is it similarly obvious that the police should be able to lay charges (that have nothing to do with the reason 911 was called) as a result of what they see while they're looking around? (I'm not sure it is.)

Aloha,

Brad

Of course it is. It is entirely dependent on the degree of the search, such that it wouldn't infringe Charter rights.

It would be different if they searched someone's pockets or drawers, but if they look in each room to make sure people are okay, and then see a crime in progress, they are paid to lay charges. They are hired to charge people for committing crimes in the event that they have evidence of a crime obtained within Constitutional limits.

Incidentally, what was the reason for the call? No one said anything on the other end. Does that mean they can't lay charges for anything?

People need to be realistic.