Jambands.ca

Bruce Cockburn dates

MarcO

Why? Because he's a living treasure, a master songwriter, a class act, a committed activist and a damn underrated guitar player! Here's his fall Canadian dates, I just got tix for the Hamilton show.

Bruce Cockburn - so good!

-

28 November 2003

Theatre Outremont

Montreal, QC. Canada

29 November 2003

Convocation Hall

Toronto, ON. Canada

30 November 2003

Hamilton Place

Hamilton, ON. Canada

3 December 2003

Showplace Theatre

Peterborough, ON. Canada

5 December 2003

Empire Theatre

Belleville, ON. Canada

Note: email Empire Theater.

Box office Hours are: Mon-Fri 10-6, Sat. 11-4

323 Front St., Belleville, Ontario phone: (613)969-0099

This is a 700 seat recently refurbished theatre.

4 December 2003

River Run Centre

Guelph, ON. Canada

-- Rumours Of Glory --

by Bruce Cockburn

31 December 1979. Burritt's Rapids.

Above the dark town

After the sun's gone down

Two vapour trails cross the sky

Catching the day's last slow goodbye

Black skyline looks rich as velvet

Something is shining

Like gold but better

Rumours of glory

Smiles mixed with curses

The crowd disperses

About whom no details are known

Each one alone yet not alone

Behind the pain/fear

Etched on the faces

Something is shining

Like gold but better

Rumours of glory

You see the extremes

Of what humans can be?

In that distance some tension's born

Energy surging like a storm

You plunge your hand in

And draw it back scorched

Beneath it's shining like

Gold but better

Rumours of glory

Convocation Hall is an excellent venue to see Bruce perform in. I've seen him play in many, many different places and I have to say C. Hall is my favorite to date...

Do not miss this one... he puts on an amazing, amazing show... love his setlist selections always.

On a side note, there is a man named Michael Occhipinti (jazz guitarist) who plays in a band called "Creation Dream" out and about in Toronto. Do not miss this if you are a Bruce fan... jazz interpretations of all Bruce songs.

quote:

Originally posted by M:

On a side note, there is a man named Michael Occhipinti (jazz guitarist) who plays in a band called "Creation Dream" out and about in Toronto. Do not miss this if you are a Bruce fan... jazz interpretations of all Bruce songs.

M - do you know the head who works in the copy shop, right by Grey, I think it's Mailboxes etc? I can't remember his name, but anyway he was raving about Occhipinti! I still have yet to see him though. Thanks for the heads up.

As for Cockburn... I've never been much of a fan, but that's probably mainly due to exposure. I got a copy of his latest album (thanks mr. slippery) and I was really blown away. I was expecting acoustic melancholy. I was really surprised how textured and interesting the music is. As someone who notices the 'sound' as opposed to the words, I was really surprised and impressed.

For my money, the cream of the crop are his albums spanning 1974 - 1984 ("Night Vision" to "Stealing Fire"). A fascinating journey from folkie bumpkin to mystic poet to activist. In particular, I recommend:

"In The Falling Dark" (1976)

"Circles In The Stream" (1977)

"Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws" (1979)

"Humans" (1980)

Can't say enough good things about Cockburn. I think his latest cd is good, not great by his career standards but better than a lot of what he's put out as of late (like, since 1986's "World of Wonders"), with the exception of "The Charity of Night", a classic folk/jazz cd from 1996 featuring, among other people, Bob Weir on background vocals, Rob Wasserman on bass and Gary Burton on vibes. It's so good!

I think I must be a Cock-head! [Confused]

Trev - yup, Occhipinti is a gem... and his brother is actually a wizard as well and plays around Toronto in a bunch of diff outfits as far as I recall; one being a wicked funk type band called SoulStew I think who have a weekly gig at (of all places) Indian Motorcycle club. Wonder if they still play there? I think its Wednesdays.

Giggles and I caught a solo Michael Occhipinti show during the jazz fest in T.O. at a little restaurant... we were two of a mere handful of people that were there and were blown away by his beautiful playing. He did a jazz version of "Pacing the Cage" which was gorgeous.

Re: Cockburn, Trev - you gots to get past the whole "Tree Falls in a Forest", "Rocket Launcher" dark cloud of 80s stigma that follows this man around... Eddie Van Halen (or someone like him who you would least expect) called Bruce Cockburn the greatest guitar player of all time... Bruce is a revered god in some guitar magazines... check out "Mistress of Storms" on the "Charity of Night" album if you want some acoustic texture... so good.

quote:

"The Charity of Night", a classic folk/jazz cd from 1996 featuring, among other people, Bob Weir on background vocals, Rob Wasserman on bass and Gary Burton on vibes. It's so good!

Wow that sounds interesting.... And yes Marc I'd say you would qualify as a Cock-head. [big Grin]

Mary - Yeah, sounds like I definitly need to check out some other stuff. Your exactly right about the stigma.

ya - i saw his last convocation hall show, Really GOOD!!

You do have to get past the holier than thou, leather vest wearin', rocket launcher, 80's cheese. Once you do there is an ocean of wicked music!

Trev - You should check out the album "Dancing In The Dragons Jaw", I think its like 1976...it will totally smoke you.

cheers

I wouldn't miss this show for anything.

The river run center is a great venue in Guelph (Warning: Biased opinion, I work there).

If your looking for a great live album, check out "Circles in the Stream", take from a pair of shows at massey hall in 71.

See ya'll there.......

Hey, anyone got any good live shows. I'd love to hear a few more shows before he comes around.

quote:

Originally posted by canadianphan:

The river run center is a great venue in Guelph (Warning: Biased opinion, I work there).

Okay, non-biased opinion: I don't work there, and I also think it's a great venue. I saw The Sun Ra Arkestra there a couple of years ago (with Andrew Hill opening, no less!) and it was a great show in a perfect venue. [Cool]

Damn you Bruce, couldn't you have just waited a few more days? I'll almost be home by then... [Frown]

I've seen Bruce a million times, with and without his various bands. The man in an original, great player, songwriter and lyricist. Some think he sucks because he lacks a distorted raunchy edge ... but not me. He does have a "too much bleeding heart liberal" side but I say, someone has to voice the ultra left and I'm on the left anyways. Oh yes, he did suck in th 80's too but has gotten better.

Funny think happened at Canada day this summer in Ottawa. There was a bunch of families with small kids there and one set up behind us. Bruce went into a song about death camps and piles of skulls. The vibe was so negative and horrible that the small children behind us, who could not yet speak much or understand what was said began to cry. They needed to be comforted by their mother. Not a ringing endorsement but interesting that sound can reach beyond understanding.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by B & Z:

Oh yes, he did suck in th 80's too but has gotten better.

I disagree with you Steve. "Humans" (1980), "Inner City Front" (1981), "The Trouble With Normal" (1982) and "Stealing Fire" (1984) are fantastic albums, all of them. They may sound a bit dated but the songwriting is impeccable, and the movement from urban observer to global participant is one of the most fascinating chapters of this man's career. Apart from "The Charity of Night" (1996) and perhaps the somewhat problematic "World of Wonders" (1986), I don't believe he has ever maintained that momentum or consistently high quality. Great songs abound in the 1990s and on but only "The Charity of Night" remains essential from his current period.

Also, while no-one would ever mistake Cockburn as a conservative, I don't believe he represents the "ultra-left". His causes and concerns tend to be humanist rather than political, although one forum often bleeds into the other. He still opposes the gun registry, does not decribe himself as a pacifist and draws quite a crowd playing the Greenbelt Christian Music festival in Europe.

Archived