Jambands.ca

GD's Winterland Finale Comes To DVD 12/31/78

zimmerman pt3

Finally something pre-80 released on dvd!!! Pray there's no cheesy added special effects!! Can't stand those View from the Vaults...

got this off Billboard.com

Before San Francisco's legendary venue Winterland closed its doors on Dec. 31, 1978, it first played host to one final concert by the Grateful Dead. Twenty-five years later, the show will be released as a two-DVD set Nov. 11 via Monterey Video.

The Blues Brothers Band -- John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Donald "Duck" Dunn and Paul Shaffer -- joined the Dead that evening. Also on hand were special guests John Cipollina, Lee Oskar, Matt Kelly, Ken Kesey and Greg Errico.

"There is 100 times the demand than there are tickets," promoter/show emcee Bill Graham is quoted as saying at the time. "I would venture it could have been half a million. You haven't seen the letters from Tokyo, New York, Boston, Miami!"

Along with the Dead's four-hour-plus performance -- in Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0, as well as DTS 5.1 -- "The Closing of Winterland" will feature new and archival interviews and photo galleries, as well as a conversation between the Dead's Bob Weir and Mickey Hart and "Merry Prankster" Kesey between sets. All of the performance audio was mixed from original 24-track analog master tapes and the video from the original master.

Three songs -- "Wharf Rat," "St. Stephen" and "Good Lovin'" -- are also seen through 40 minutes of alternate camera angle footage. A 22-page color booklet will be included.

In other Dead news, St. Martin's Press recently published "Home Before Daylight: My Life on the Road With the Grateful Dead." The book was written by longtime roadie and manager Steve Parish, who took to the road with the group in 1969 and continues to work with the Dead today. The book was co-written with journalist Joe Layden and sports a foreword by Weir.

SET ONE

1 Sugar Magnolia >

2 Scarlet Begonias >

3 Fire On The Mountain

4 Me and My Uncle >

5 Big River

6 Friend of the Devil

7 It's All Over Now

8 Stagger Lee

9 From The Heart Of Me

10 Sunshine Daydream

SET TWO

1 Samson and Delilah

2 Ramble On Rose

3 I Need A Miracle>

4 Terrapin Station >

5 Playing In The Band >

6 Rhythm Devils >

7 Not Fade Away >

8 Around And Around

SET THREE

1 Dark Star >

2 The Other One >

3 Dark Star >

4 Wharf Rat >

5 St. Stephen >

6 Good Lovin'

ENCORE

7 Casey Jones >

8 Johnny B. Goode

9 We Bid You Goodnight

BONUS MATERIAL:

• Blues Brothers ( "Soul Man" and "B Movie" )

• Documentary Feature "Winterland: A Million Memories"

• Documentary Feature "The Making of the DVD"

• Detailed Chronological History of the Grateful Dead at Winterland

• The New Riders of the Purple Sage ("Glendale Train")

• Alternate camera angle option for 3 songs ( "Wharf Rat", "St. Stephen", "Good Lovin'" )

• Interview with Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Ken Kesey at 2:00 am

• Interview with Bill Graham by Scoop Nisker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Visible lyrics option

• DTS 5.1 Surround Sound

• Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

• Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

• 28 Page Booklet

• Total running time approximately 375 minutes

• Mixed from the 24 track analog master tapes

• Video from the original 2" Quad video master

• No regional encoding (universally compatible)

This special CD available ONLY to folks who purchase the DVD from Grateful Dead

The special, limited edition CD contains peak moments of previous Grateful Dead New Year's Eve concerts at Winterland. Included on this CD is one of the greatest versions of Easy Wind you will ever hear (12/31/70), a letter-perfect reading of Black Peter (12/31/71), one of the best of the classic, late-1972 versions of Playing in the Band (12/31/72), and to cap it off, some highlights of the band's penultimate New Year's Eve concert at Winterland on 12/31/77, including a Lazy Lightning>Supplication that will knock your socks off, and a beautiful Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain. This is our gift to you. Happy New Year, indeed!

LIMITED EDITION CD TRACKS:

• Easy Wind

• Jam>

• Black Peter

• Playing in the Band

• Lazy Lightning>

• Supplication

• Sugar Magnolia>

• Scarlet Begonias>

• Fire on the Mountain

Archived