Jambands.ca

Recent Acquisitions

bradm

I had Friday off, so did some shopping here in downtown Ottawa, and got my hands on:

Soulive / Get Down!

This was $12 at Record Runner, on the wall at the back where they keep the cheaper records. It's a re-issue on Velour, with two live (audience) bonus tracks from the Izzy Bar in NYC. I'm now a confirmed Soulive fan.

All Kooper & Mike Bloomfield / Fillmore East: The Lost Concert Tapes 12/13/68

Heavy-duty white-boy Chicago blues, with Johhny Winter guesting on one track, three days before Columbia signed him (apparently there were Columbia execs in the audience to see Kooper / Bloomfield, who were blown away by Winter). It includes covers of "Season of the Witch" and "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)". Also $12 at Record Runner.

Monty Python Holy Ail

Black Sheep Brewing has put out a beer to celebrate the 30th anniversary of "Monty Python And The Holy Grail"; the label has the Holy Grail title in the usual font, but with the "Gr" scratched out. I haven't tried it yet, but one bottle's going in the fridge as a Christmas present for my Brother.

Behringer MIC100*

I finally broke down and got a unit capable of powering the microphone, the one I was given just before my DAT died. This unit ($80 at Steve's Music) is a basic mic pre-amp and phantom power supply, complete with a tube (one 12AX7) and "chicken head" retro knobs.

I tried it Saturday morning at StudioM (aka my living room), and it worked like a charm. I brought it, dave-O's MD, blanks, a small mic stand, the mic, etc., to Babylon on Saturday night, to try out on The Formula and JSB. The plan was to set it up close to the stage, see how The Formula sounded through it at set break, and either use it for JSB, or switch up and use the usual setup.

Standards are wonderful: that's why we have so many of them...arggghhh...the MIC100 has two outputs: XLR, and 1/4", both mono. The MD has a stereo 1/8" jack. I have an XLR jack -> 1/4" plug, so I decided to use it and get a 1/4" jack to 1/8" plug, ideally all mono, so put the one mic signal onto both channels. I bought such an adaptor at Radio Shack and brought it along, as well.

Guess what the one piece of gear was that I didn't try on Saturday morning? For want of an adaptor, the signal chain was lost...The MIC100 and mic were working fine (meters moving perfectly), but somewhere along the adaptation chain, the signal vanished, and the MD was getting nothing.

This was figured out with me and dave-O crouched over all this gear (and cables; some spaghetti sauce wouldn't have been out of place), tiny flashlight in hand, watching the MD's meters not move. Other cables and jacks and plugs were tried, but to no avail: we were completely diceless.

"OK, we give up. Move to plan B." I said at some point; the right point, as it turned out: we got the mics taped up to the wall and the MD running just in time (by seconds, literally) to get the start of The Formula's set, which was smoking. JSB did one long (ravy) set; I swapped discs at about the one-hour mark, just as there was the only bit of stage banter all night long enough to swap discs. The second disc starts with a fun rendition of "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls.

Aloha,

Brad

* I also stopped by the LCBO on Rideau, and picked up a bottle of wine from a vinyard call "Beringer"; coincidence?

I'm listening to it right now, and it's pretty smokin'. It was almost a "pick-up" band; they only rehearsed for about two days, and there are places where thing don't quite sync up, but Bloomfield is amazing. IMHO, it's definitely worth $12 to $20.

Aloha,

Brad

I recently bought:

The re-issue of " Marquee Moon " by Television - masterpiece guitar album from 1977. Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd are as good a guitar duo as Dickie and Duane.

The Kids Are Alright Deluxe 2-disc DVD - a must own for all music fans. Moon never looked and sounded so good.

" The Deepest End " - The Mule are near their best on this DVD/CD. They will always be better with Woody, but they are doing really interesting things since his death. Allen would be proud of Warren and Matt.

My Morning Jacket " It Still Moves " - this band is a revelation for me. The Byrds meets Skynyrd meets the Beach Boys meets Crazy Horse. I love this album and when I'm not cranking " Marquee Moon ", I'm listening to this awesome cd... that Booche will love when he hears it before the Mule show ( at my apartment ) this Saturday afternoon.

Hey Brad;

Even though the mic100 is mono, the outputs of the mic100 are probably balanced - meaning the XLR/TRS connector has hot/cold/ground. If you use any sort of adaptor that goes to a mono 1/4" it will short the ground and cold side internally, nulling any output signal. you need a cable that goes from XLR(with hot/cold/ground attached) to 1/8" stereo - however there's trickery involved, you want the hot(pin2) to go to the left channel(tip?) of the 1/8", the cold to go to the ground of the 1/8" and the ground from the XLR remains unconnected - nothing should connect to the right channel (ring?) of the 1/8" either...

search online for balanced to unbalanced cables and you'll find a diagram that will make more sense....

quote:

Monty Python Holy Ail

Black Sheep Brewing has put out a beer to celebrate the 30th anniversary of "Monty Python And The Holy Grail"; the label has the Holy Grail title in the usual font, but with the "Gr" scratched out. I haven't tried it yet, but one bottle's going in the fridge as a Christmas present for my Brother.

I got a couple of bottles of this as well, and frankly other than the novelty value I wasn't that impressed with the one bottle I tried. To me it was a bit like a Newcastle but lame. I'll probably keep the bottle thou! [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

Hey Brad;

Even though the mic100 is mono, the outputs of the mic100 are probably balanced - meaning the XLR/TRS connector has hot/cold/ground. If you use any sort of adaptor that goes to a mono 1/4" it will short the ground and cold side internally, nulling any output signal. you need a cable that goes from XLR(with hot/cold/ground attached) to 1/8" stereo - however there's trickery involved, you want the hot(pin2) to go to the left channel(tip?) of the 1/8", the cold to go to the ground of the 1/8" and the ground from the XLR remains unconnected - nothing should connect to the right channel (ring?) of the 1/8" either...

search online for balanced to unbalanced cables and you'll find a diagram that will make more sense....

Thanks. I've got an XLR to 1/4" adaptor (and I think it's balanced to unbalanced), which is what I tested with: I ran the mic into the pre-amp, then the XLR out through the adaptor into the 1/4" ins of my 4-track, and it worked fine; I guess the problem is in the 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor, which is a stereo jack to a mono plug. I'll do some digging and see if I can make it work.

I may end up upgrading to the UB802 mixer (which Steve's also has, for $100), because then I'll just use the RCA tape-outs, for which I've got an adaptor.

Aloha,

Brad

I forgot that I also bought new rear PSB speakers at a very good independent home theatre store: Great Metropolitan ( on Eglinton, just east of Yonge ). I have three front PSBs so I needed to match them with PSB rears - I recommend all home theatre surround aficionados do the same: that is, match speaker brands. It provides required and equal audio balance.

Booche gets my old JBL rears.

Archived