Jambands.ca

Hug your pet for Huxley. *A sad story*

Ms Zimmy

Huxley was a chow. We found him on a busy street, in traffic tonight at 9pm. He was very weak and his hind legs weren't supporting him.

I took him out of traffic and tore off a rope from my skirt, wrapped it around his neck and tried to pull him to my vet. I carried him part of the way. The vet was closed so Brendan called his mom and she called the vet at home.

As we waited, Huxley leaned against me as I tried to give him some water. I pet him, I could feel every vertebrae, every rib, inside his rib cage, the outline of every bone in his hips. He was so gentle and so trusting.

The vet showed up and said that he was about 8 years old, and either hit by a car a long time ago, or inflicted with a disease from ticks or fleas. He might live another year with lots of meds and love.

We just couldn't take him in, and I decided that he was to be euthanized.

I held him while he was given a sedative, he was so malnourished it was very hard to find a vein. I pet him while the IV was inserted, he took his last breath. I felt his last exhale, his heart stop.

I cried thinking about how long he suffered and prayed to any god that he was not hungry his whole life, that he felt some love.

I gave him his name, Huxley, minutes before he died.

Please hug your pet for Huxley tonight.

My heart is broken.

I took my beloved cat Maebe to the vet on Wednesday, worried about her breathing. The vet said she may have congestive heart failure. Sure enough, she does. My buddy is not long for this world (6 months, give or take) and my heart is broken. I've been crying (off and on) for three days. Hug your pet and give it the best quality of life you can. I haven't felt this bad since my dad died 13 years ago.

So sad! For both of you. I lost my dog of 14 years from congestive heart failure... it's heart-breaking watching them suffer. I then lost my other dog of 15 years, a year after the first. It's the saddest thing, losing pets. I'm still not over it. But the whole idea of them being in a better place makes it a little easier.

geezuz. thanks for making me feel sad. Sarah, you've got a very kind soul. You are the 1 out of 100 people that would stop and do something about a helpless little animal. Sad ending, but beautiful in another way.

Jaimoe, sorry you had to make that call. We kinda wonder why we take in a pet knowing that the outcome will always be heartwrenching, but we do know why we do it. They feel all the love that you give them.

i'll go hug abbey now. she won't know why, but it'll make me feel better.

jennifer and i took in another stray last week...we found a beautiful friendly kitten in rotary park in geulph with it's footpads ripped to hell, consistent with being dropped out of a moving vehicle. lintilla is now a member of our family, and is healing up well.

i will go home tonight and hug all seven of our cats, and the dog.

So sad. We got our cat Wilson from the Humane Society and they said he was a stray, at least when they got him.

He meows a lot, probably left over from having been a stray and wanting attention or maybe it's just him but best cat in the world. All the kids in the neighborhood like him cause he lets them do all sorts of things and just sits there with a look that says "I know they're kids, they'll grow out of it".

Sucks to hear stories of animal cruelty but I'm glad that there's also stories like this. That dog got some love at the end and though the story is sad, that part is very nice.

So good job, you did the best you could.