Jambands.ca

C.R. Avery tonight in Ottawa

Velvet

I forgot to post this:

My new favourite artist is performing tonight at 4th Stage at the NAC for $20. Might be more at the door, I don't know. I picked up advance tix yesterday.

He talks for the first minute, skip ahead:

As apology for the late notice I'll give you an early head's up that Bela Fleck and his Africa Summit will be at Dominion Chalmers Church on March 1st, 2010.

We had CR jump on stage with BNB about 9 years in Vancouver... did some strange beatboxing and off centre harmonica playing. He (relunctantly) gave us a CD that was a weird kinda uber sloppy dyi christian hip hop mix... and then asked the sound guy how he could "get a jive goin in here." I'll upload a track if I get a chance...

Good to see he's come into his own.

Here's Dan and CR, backstage at the Starfish Room in 2000. I think the show is up on archive.org...

(edit) it is...

http://www.archive.org/details/bnb2000-10-04.shnf

CR is on funkin shoes...

dancr.JPG

The dude is an enthralling performer. When it's time for a singalong I'm busting at the seams for my part to come up, and that is verrrrry unlike me. The guy obviously works very hard at his craft, and despite the obvious references to Tom Waits he has developed something utterly unique. I guess he's a hip-hop folksinger.

Whatever he is, I can't get enough. He ended the show with a first-time performance of a song called Read Over My Shoulder or something similar, and, well let's just say it's a potential tearjerker.

He said the solo tour is to pay for his upcoming album featuring himself, a 45-piece orchestra and a twenty-voice choir. Hope he tours it.

haha that was me

i wanted to hear door by the river, but since he's from vancouver i guess i had the fraser river in my mind (which is the name of a kevin breit tune i think). anyway, i love door by the river, it gets stuck in my head all day sometimes!

CR then proceeded to misquote a neil young title and make a rather unsuccessful comparison to neil, so i didn't feel too bad, hehe :P

This was by far the best C.R. performance I've seen, but also the first time I've seen him completely solo so that may be why. I was completely absorbed by him, there were a few moments where I felt the rest of the room was black and he was just illuminated on stage, preaching these soulful tales of history. I LOVE the fourth stage.

Also got to hang out with him a bit after the show, we went to the Avant Garde where a poetry slam was happening and he took over the mic for some beat boxy stuff. Good night all around.