Jambands.ca

HEATLEY TRADED

ollie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4463628

The Ottawa Senators have reached an agreement to send Dany Heatley to the San Jose Sharks, NHL sources told ESPN's John Buccigross.

The 28-year-old forward was part of a three-team deal that will send the Sharks' Patrick Marleau to the Los Angeles Kings and the Kings' Alexander Frolov and Jarret Stoll to the Senators.

Both Sharks GM Doug Wilson and Senators GM Bryan Murray denied the three-way trade when reached by ESPN.com.

Yesterday, I could have sworn I saw this reported on Sportsnet in passing and spent the next couple of hours looking for confirmation.

I felt the same way yesterday but I dont understand why LA would make this move. Wait a second, I just read this:

Both Sharks GM Doug Wilson and Senators GM Bryan Murray denied the three-way trade when reached by ESPN.com.

Guest Low Roller

Heatley to Sharks!

In return: Michalek, Cheechoo and 2nd round pick in 2010. Pretty questionable if you ask me. Things just got a little bit more interesting in the Northeast division.

This is a nice trade for both teams. Cheechoo and Heatley both needed a change of scenery and Michalek with add quality depth for the Sens. Even though the Sharks have been a strong team as of late, not being under the local microscope will help Heatley thrive again.

At the end of the day though, you still couldn't pay me to watch the Sens. BORING!

My initial gut feeling is the Sharks got the better end of the deal. Murray's hands were tied - Heatley had de-valued himself with his trade demand and his refusal to got to Edmonton. There weren't a lot of GMs interested in his enormous salary either.

Anyone know the terms Michalek's and Cheechoo's contracts? (I could look it up but it's time for dinner!)

Ottawa got a little fleeced but all things considered this is nothing like a bad Milbury trade.

The optimist will look at Cheechoo's 56 goal season and Michalek's upside.

I think if we get half of that we're lucky. But add the signing of Kovalev and I think the difference in our offense is a wash. Our defence and goaltending will have a big say in our success this season. And I can't fucking wait for it to start!!

The stat that TSN dude pulled out was that since the lockout Heatley had something like 170 goals, while Cheechoo and Michalek combined had 218, for roughly the same money. (all figures and statements approximate)

It's good to spread the load around (that's what she said)