Jambands.ca

GPS?

phishtaper

Canadian Tire has a great deal right now on a Garmin nuvi 255W for $150, $200 off. They were sold out at the Canadian Tire close to me but they'll give a rain check if it's out of stock. That sale ends tomorrow, I don't think you'll find a better deal.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/3/GPSCompass/AutomotiveGPS/PRD~0352542P/Garmin%2Bn%253Fvi%2B255W%2BGPS.jsp

cf-lg.jpg

Product Page

My brother has one and he likes it. We picked up the rain check to get one for a present and I think I may get one myself as my GPS was stolen.

I've used a few different GPS', I find it's all with what you get used to. They all basically do the same thing. This one, like you said, doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it will do what you want it to do. The 4.5" widescreen with this unit is nice.

the thing that i dont understand is "map updating". the link you provided (thanks, by the way, very helpful) says you can download updates, but i cannot figure out if that would cost me to do so.

ive heard that the cost of updating some units is as much as the units themselves, yikes.

also, this one seems to be portable too, so I can theoretically wander into the woods without getting lost.

As cool as the technology is, the skill of finding your way without GPS using a map, road markers, and landmarks is not worth losing. There have been many times that I've found my way to a place I've been to just once, many years before from remembering small details. I'm sure that if I relied on a GPS, I would lose that ability.

Anyone else feel that way?

WTF moments:

John Tory made a recent stab at candidacy in my home riding of HKLB. He infamously showed up hours late to one of his outreach meetings here and he blamed his tardiness on his GPS:

He claimed the GPS "told him to turn down a snowmobile trail" and so he did- turned off the paved road, and onto a dirt path- which he drove down for several kilometers before he got stuck. He had to call for a tow.

Needless to say, he got smoked in the election :)

As cool as the technology is, the skill of finding your way without GPS using a map, road markers, and landmarks is not worth losing. There have been many times that I've found my way to a place I've been to just once, many years before from remembering small details. I'm sure that if I relied on a GPS, I would lose that ability.

Anyone else feel that way?

Yep.

I always refuse GPS units renting cars when i travel to various places for work, while most of my coworkers swear by them. The first time we had to go to northern Italy for an auction everyone got a GPS unit except me... they all got to our auction site well in advance while i was still circling roundabouts wondering where the fuck i was and starting to feel a little scared. But now when we head over, i just jump in the car and go and pretty much can navigate myself all across northern Italy, as they ride shotgun wondering how the hell i know where i'm going.

sweet. thanks for all of the advice everyone. i did buy that one at FS. will be fun.

do i need it? no. do i want it? yes. will i drive off a cliff or end up in a muddy, farmers field because im blindly following incorrect GPS directions with cruise control on, while blasting my satellite radio, talking bluetooth on my iphone, eating an ice cream cone, slurpin' back a venti mochaccino, and tweezing my eyebrows? maybe, but that's part of the fun of finally living in the 21st century.