Jambands.ca

Roll Call: DoneFors @ Irene's (Ott.) tonight

bradm

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/254707/

I'll be there, Velvet will be there, Schwa. will be there, and Yours Truly will be there. Is anyone else planning on showing up?

The Musical Melting Pot Of The DoneFors

When The DoneFors come to town this Friday from their native Toronto, they’ll be bringing along enough experience to keep them eclectic, at the very least.

Boasting members of Juno-nominated Afro-beat sensation Mr. Something Something, a couple of graduates from the Humber School of Jazz, and a vocalist who describes her solo project as “music for sad people,†The DoneFors can leave one scrambling for a genre to grasp to.

“I would say progressive folk, contemporary pop,†muses frontwoman Janine Stoll, although she admits, “I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re going to hear a lot of jazz influence.

“We call what we do Canadiana Vanguard, kind of putting a fresh spin on Canadian music,†concludes Stoll.

On their whimsically titled debut disc How To Have Sex With Canadians, The DoneFors combine top-notch musicianship and ethereal stream-of-consciousness lyrics to create a series of Impressionistic vignettes that are both engaging and optimistic. While the spacious arrangements sprinkled with vaguely connected lyrical nuggets are sometimes reminiscent of Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians or perhaps Joni Mitchell around her Hejira period, The DoneFors remain impossible to pigeonhole and incessantly upbeat.

And that may or may not change as the band puts the finishing touches on their second album, an exercise Stoll refers to as “archiving your history.â€

“It kind of ebbs and flows into different directions in terms of genre, but I think it’s going to be a little more cohesive,†she says of their as-yet-untitled effort. “When people listen to it they’ll be able to say, “Wow, this is unmistakably a DoneFors album.â€â€

The DoneFors play Irene’s Pub (885 Bank Street) this Friday, January 15th. Opening the show is Ottawa’s own traditional country influenced duo Red Wood Central.

Aloha,

Brad