Jambands.ca

kovalchuk to....

c-towns

Guest Low Roller
I can't believe how little Atlanta got in the trade. Remember how ridiculous the Forsberg rental trade was?

Forsberg to Nashville (as a rental) for:

Ryan Parent

Scottie Upshall (subsequently dealt with a 2nd rounder for Carcillo)

1st rounder (dealt back to Nash for early negotiating rights with Hartnell and Timonen - 2 UFAs Nashville had no plans to sign)

3rd rounder

Kovalchuk to NJ (rental?) for:

Oduya

Bergfors

Cormier

1st rounder

Comparison:

Bergfors (5th in rookie scoring' date=' 3rd in goals) projects to be at least as good as Upshall. Oduya is MUCH better than Parent today and it's questionable if Parent ever develops into a full-time NHLer. Cormier projects as a 3rd/4th liner, that's gotta be equivalent to a 3rd round pick. A 1st equals a 1st, but you can argue that it was always in the plan for Nashville to get that pick back.

So Atlanta got the better return hands down.[/quote']

That's it. You're on my shitlist.

So is anybody else who attempts to point out the obvious fallacies of my hastily posted comments.

I can't believe how little Atlanta got in the trade. Remember how ridiculous the Forsberg rental trade was?

Forsberg to Nashville (as a rental) for:

Ryan Parent

Scottie Upshall (subsequently dealt with a 2nd rounder for Carcillo)

1st rounder (dealt back to Nash for early negotiating rights with Hartnell and Timonen - 2 UFAs Nashville had no plans to sign)

3rd rounder

Kovalchuk to NJ (rental?) for:

Oduya

Bergfors

Cormier

1st rounder

Comparison:

Bergfors (5th in rookie scoring' date=' 3rd in goals) projects to be at least as good as Upshall. Oduya is MUCH better than Parent today and it's questionable if Parent ever develops into a full-time NHLer. Cormier projects as a 3rd/4th liner, that's gotta be equivalent to a 3rd round pick. A 1st equals a 1st, but you can argue that it was always in the plan for Nashville to get that pick back.

So Atlanta got the better return hands down.[/quote']

If NJ signs him they win hands down. The guy is only 26.

If NJ goes deep in the playoffs they win hands down.

If your scenerio pans out and Kovalchuk hurts himself at the Olympics then Atlanta wins hands down. ;)

Thanks again Captain Obvious, but the point was that Atlanta got decent return (historically speaking, at least) for a pending UFA rental trade.

That's not what you said in your post. In fact you said... "So Atlanta got the better return hands down"

This is quite a different statement from a decent return.

So what is it? Did they win the trade hands down or did they get a decent return?

I see those as two different results and for the record I think it is still to be determined depending on how the season turns out... obviously ;)