Jambands.ca

Joni at Opening Ceremonies

Velvet

We heard Joni Mitchell during Friday night's sparkling opening ceremonies, crooning Both Sides Now. But where was the Canadian folk songstress?

Absent, it turned out. "She just wasn't available for us," said Vancouver Organizing Committee official Suzanne Reedes, who insisted she didn't know why.

But Mitchell, 66, had cast doubt on her attendance in an interview with the The Vancouver Sun last month. "I'm trying to get well enough to make that," she told the newspaper, detailing a debilitating illness.

"What I have is accumulated from … a lot of diseases in my life — polio, chicken pox, scarlet fever, dengue fever, three kind of measles," Mitchell said. "All these things are viral and they stay in your system so my body is like Afghanistan. It's full of syndromes. It all pools into a disease called morgellons, for which there is no cure. It's a complex infection. I can't afford to get a flu on top of it or anything. I'm pretty fragile, and it's pretty uncomfortable."

Anyone know what her health issues are?

I'm sure 50 years of chain-smoking has nothing to do with her health...

Well I won't argue about the smoking, Joni also has issues with stage fright and/or big public appearances, which was the reason why she didn't tour or do many shows for quite a long time.

I recall when we flew to Vancouver in 1998 to see Dylan, Van and Joni at GM place and the big news was that Joni was even going be touring that year. When Van hit the stage (Joni>Van>Bob), he even made comment about her courage and encouraged the crowd to give her a big hand before starting his set.

I was happy to catch her in Vancouver, and opening for Bob later that year in Toronto.