Jambands.ca

Tragically Hip playing The Boot Pub!

weezy

The Tragically Hip are playing the Boot Pub in Whistler tonight and tomorrow for $20 a ticket. It's to raise money for the families of the men who were killed when the bridge collapsed during the floods last week. The Boot Pub is a small bar that fits maybe 250 people max. I just sent in my ticket request, crossin my fingers...

Sounds cool...I've been to that place.

I remember going to see them often years back when they played clubs like that. A girlsfriend of mine dated their manager for awhile. I kind of remember them not being into partying too much. But I was 100 times the freak then, than I am now, so who knows. Maybe they were afraid...hahaaaa.

I would love to see them in a small club again. [Cool]

Holy crap, that was amazing. 320 people in a small bar to see The Hip. They played all the faves: Wheat Kings, 100th Meridian, Blow At High Dough, New Orleans Is Sinking, Ahead By A Century, Nautical Disaster etc...

-

-

-

I officially will never see The Hip again - nothing could compare to that

Geez, I've had some fuuuun in that room - thanks for the pics.

That would be such an exciting show - I think I've seen the Hip more than I've seen any other band (except nero), and I've only seen them in a place that small once, in Boston. Did the audience drown out Gords vocals in every song like they did in Boston?

Gotta ask, and try and be objective - was it a good show? I used to think live Hip was as good as things got at a rock show, but the last 3 or 4 shows I saw sucked so bad I'll have to get dragged to see them ever again.

Has Bobby Baker relearned how to play the guitar yet? Hope so.

Well...

Sound was great. I could hear everything clearly, including Gord's nonsensical yammering between songs. The crowd was actually very well behaved and reasonable. I was able to weasel my way to the front row (excuse me, I'd just like to take a picture real quick, do you mind?) and make 2 bathroom trips, returning to the front both times. The band was loud - kind of like one big sound - difficult to make out which guitar was doing what. However, yes, the guitarist still sucks. Gord sounded great though, full of energy and strangeness - veins popping out of the head - sweat pouring.

At one point, some fat, drunk, jock-type guy (at a Hip show? imagine that) got to the front and was throwing his arms all over the place - into girls' faces and knocking some people over. A scene started to develop, so Gord focused on him and said " Arms flailing, flailing!! It's OK, it's just a flailer!" The guitar tech then jumped into the crowd and moved the flailer to the back of the room, hilarity ensued.

They're still an awesome rock show, but to me it's mostly because of the endless string of fantastic songs and the freak that is Gord Downie. The musicianship was never really there anyways - they're all mediocre. (The rhythm guitarist was actually using a Line 6 amp.!?, I believe it's made by Fischer Price) Obviously, they're older now, so there was an old-school 'rock show' vibe about it, plus it reeked of Ontario - something you only notice after being away for a long time. But overall, it was an excellent show and an awesome experience seeing that band in such a small place after seeing them 4 times in giant coliseums (and once at the Concert Hall in T.O. - that was cool too) I give the show an 8/10 and the experience a 10/10.

-

Cheers [big Grin]

Archived