Jambands.ca

Internet Piracy debate.

spacecowboy

Anyone feel they have anything to say? I have to choose a topic and debate it for one of my classes and I've choosen to discuss the ever popular is Internet Piracy wrong?

and I know some of you are real good at debating issues without throwing to many punches!'

Basically I wanna know.....

"Is copying stealing?" Corporations would like you to blindly say YES, but is the law just and fair? How different is it from taping a song off the radio, or videotaping you favourite show? Or making a 'mix' tape for a friend (ah the memories!)?

And are the MPAA and RIAA even more disliked than they already are because of what they are doing? is it intimidation? 'education'? or simply legal terrorism?

As CNET News.com’s Eric Goldman noted

“Congress has been completely convinced that rampant copyright infringement threatens to destroy the American economy. Having internalized this threat, Congress is now determined to fix that problem the only way it knows how--threaten ordinary citizens with jail, despite collateral consequences....

“Congress needs to develop an integrated policy about criminal copyright infringement. To do so, Congress needs to realize two things. First, it is not acceptable to put average Americans at the peril of going to jail for doing everyday activities. Second, if the existing laws are not yielding the desired results, perhaps they were bad policy, in which case making them tougher only compounds the initial policy failure....”

Whether it's music or games, the numbers do lie.

The RIAA somehow believe that every mp3 downloaded off of the internet represents exactly 1 lost sale.

Unfortunately for the RIAA, that is a blatant lie. Just because someone is willing to download something, does not mean that they would ever have bought it to begin with.

As well, how many times do you have to buy a record like The Beatles "SGT Pepper"? I bought that record in 1987, and then the CD in '89. I think I'm entitled to download the damn thing to my PC if I want to. So that certainly doesn't account for a lost sale.

You should realize that we are allowed to download music off the net. But we are only allowed to keep that file on our computers for 24 hours, at which time it must be deleted (you might want to verify that comment if you're going to put it in your paper, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is).

And...

I'm of the firm belief however, that musicians do just fine financially if they make good music. And up and coming musicians who are struggling should want people to download their music so that it gets out there. If their music is touching, people will buy their CDS.

I may be naive, but that's my 1 and a half cents.

Check this out: Some MIT students made a piece of software that is a p2p file-sharer that is totally legal. They did this by sending the digital files through the university's cable television signal, thus making the files analog and not subject to the digital downloads rule.

Downfalls: Files lose fidelity. Available only to MIT students. I don't know if you can actually download the files...

It's confusing, but check it out for yourself.

ad

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

how many times do you have to buy a record like The Beatles "SGT Pepper"?

Answer: Six(for no damn reason) [Razz]

I really do believe, however, that recorded music is owned by the public, unless you're in a symphony or something. Then, of course, you'd want to get payed.

Good luck with that paper [Confused]

i think this fits...and i have a little rant so hear it goes...

go to the movies the other night and see that trailer, the set painter one who met his wife working the'big chill' and is against piracy of movies.

anyhow i pay 27.50 for my friend and I, and feel so fortunate to be able to do that and enjoy a movie. Would I ever condemn someone, who really doesn't have that luxury for downloading a movie from the net?.., never. How about people who do have that luxury? No i dont think i would condemn them either. There's plenty of money to go around, why don't they pay actors less and kick some down to the set maker? Why not kick some down from the millions the movie might take in? To blame it on piracy is in intself selfish. Just people trying to hoard money because they don't want to lose their piece of the pie.

As for music, for every song i downloaded and did not buy an album, there is one i downloaded that made me go buy the album.

thanks for listening.

quote:

Originally posted by Hank Reardon:

You should realize that we are allowed to download music off the net. But we are only allowed to keep that file on our computers for 24 hours, at which time it must be deleted (you might want to verify that comment if you're going to put it in your paper, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is).

I'm pretty sure that is one of the great mp3 myths. You're likely to find a disclaimer on sites that host mp3's that asks/tells you to delete any mp3's you download off of them within 24 hours. It probably exists to cover their own cyber-butt, but I don't see how that would work as it would be up to the copyright holder to make that allowable.

Stealing music by way of downloading copyrighted materials is illegal in the technical sense. But I don't believe it truly affects someone's livelihood because the artists whose mucis is most accessible are major label recording stars...and of the 13 dollars you might pay for their CD they'll probably see something like 1 dollar of that in their pocket.

The nature of the industry is changing, and I think the record companies now realize that telling a person to cease and desist is completely ineffective and does nothing to improve customer relationships. That is their biggest suffering from MP3s...their already-poor reputation is further tarnished because all we ever hear about is that someone is being sued.

A couple of years ago, I felt that we should all be able to download any music (big artist or small)...but I do like to support up and comers by going to their shows, paying at the door, buying a CD...because they're at the stage where that makes a big difference for them. To Bouche's point, I guess if the same band rose to stardom I would have less trepidation about donwloading their music since I'd supported them with my dollars earlier.

Archived