Jambands.ca

Your job sucks

Velvet

Carlsberg employees decry limits on beer at work

Scores of Carlsberg workers walked off the job in protest Thursday after the Danish brewer tightened laid-back rules on workplace drinking and removed beer coolers from work sites, a company spokesman said.

The warehouse and production workers in Denmark are rebelling against the company's new alcohol policy, which allows them to drink beer only during lunch hours in the canteen. Previously, they could help themselves to beer throughout the day, from coolers placed around the work sites.

The only restriction was "that you could not be drunk at work. It was up to each and everyone to be responsible," company spokesman Jens Bekke said.

Carlsberg had mulled a stricter drinking policy for years and finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1, prompting protests from staff.

Bekke said around 800 workers went on strike Wednesday and around 250 walked off their jobs Thursday, resulting in interruptions to beer transports in and around Copenhagen.

Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy — even though they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said. The truck drivers are permitted to bring three beers from the canteen because they often don't have time to have lunch there.

The trucks have alcohol ignition locks preventing drivers from driving drunk, he added.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/08/carlsberg-beer-work.html#ixzz0kaYkAAhB

'A first-class thief in Poland pulled off a series of raids by climbing into large parcels and posted himself to businesses - then climbing out and burgling them at night. Stanislaw Muchy, 39, would then make his getaway by sealing both himself and the loot in another box addressed to his Warsaw home. His scheme came to an end after he fell out with an accomplice, whose job was to deliver him to courier firms, who contacted police to spill the beans on the scheme. After being tipped off, police said: 'We arranged a special delivery of our own.' By which we assume they mean that they arrested him' - Metro.

It's a cruel, cruel world.

Of course I'd probably walk out if they tried to make me drink pissy carlsberg.

imported Carlsberg is one of my fave beers

I'm going to go pick up some after work (which doesn't suck today)

Not sure if it's still exists but I used to work with a welder from Australia and he told me that in the shipyards down under they have beer machines instead of pop machines. Most of the guys drink beer during their work day.