Jambands.ca

Gettin' ready for Halloween.....

MarcO

Listened to the show in it's entirety last night.... shivers, I tell ya, full-on Halloween spook!

The late great Ken Kesey with the late great Grateful Dead, the late great Jerry Garcia jamming for the late, great Bill Graham.

Heav-eee! [Eek!]

(Great "Scarlet > Fire" too!)

That show is amazing! Jerry's technique is so advanced. He just flows around like spiderwebs made of water. Listen to Phil and Bob. They both are being pushed to play at levels that they don't with their own band. Bobby doesn't play like that now. No fault of his own but he is not forced to find those spaces in between the form.

Jerry was the unconscious maestro. His muse served the music so perfectly.

God, why the hell can't anyone else get into it like that.

Alas, alas.

Time to pick up my Ibanez again.

I dont think this is the time or place. I dont like to fuel fires, and I dont like to necessarily put them out.

Basically, MANY songs should be shelved, or sung by people that werent in the Grateful Dead. I cant handle the way BW sings Jerry tunes, using those strange inflections for the simplest deliveries, which takes away from the integrity of the song. Phil on the other hand, keeps the integrity, but we all know about his vocal limitations. It is ruining beautiful songs for me. And please, dont bring up any issue about "change" cause that would be the biggest pile of shit I have ever read.

(Not directed at you MarcO, thats for anybody and everybody)

Anywho, that's a start right there. I could babble and babble about this, but I choose not to. Come on over for a few beers MarcO, and we can further discuss this issue. [big Grin]

quote:

.....Buffalo Bill's

defunct

who used to

ride a watersmooth-silver

stallion

and break one,two,three,four,five pigeons,just like that

Jesus

he was a handsome man

and what i want to know is

how do you like your blueeyed boy

Mister Death

-- E. E. Cummings

Amazing....the Dark Star should be listened at full volume without question!!

Chills

Booche - i totally agree about the shelving of certain tunes...I mean live and let live but...no one else should ever sing stella blue, or terrapin to name a couple.

I realize this is only one mans opinion, however, just listen to the music and let your ears and heart decide...it's no body's fault that they were not around to catch Jerry play, but that magic will not be captured through "the dead"(modern-day),or anywhere else....I totally think bobby should still play the tunes that he grew with over the last 35+ years...just show some discresion..

ah whatever, i'm sure people will not agree with this one!

quote:

Originally posted by tonyrage:

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

the late, great Bill Graham.

Excuse me? [Confused]

What you don't think he was a great guy?The man who gave his first show at the Filmore West in '65,opening the door for so many great bands including Big Brother and the Holding Co., Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Moby Grape, the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Steve Miller, Country Joe, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Santana, Butterfield Blues Band, Otis Redding, Howlin’ Wolf, Captain Beefheart, Muddy Waters, The Who... the list goes on and on.The owner of the Winterland & host of the Last Waltz,amongst so many other amazing shows.

Come on. [Confused]

Wolfgang "Bill Graham" Grajonza 01.08.1931 - 10.25.1991

-

Bill Graham at his new Winterland Ballroom 1967

I Thank Bill for his contribution to music. [big Grin]

A few different things being said here. That E.E. Cummings poem is brilliant and I can't think of a better delivery. I love how the band does one of those downward shifts into the 'Bill' pocket to act as a bed right before Kesey starts reciting it. Also the whole 'they're 'll always be more dumb people then smart people. We're not many' kills me. The part that gives me the chills is the poem and particularly how heated he gets over the remark about how the Dead are the only ones who reach across the distance and that Brokedown Palace they played at that show I knew. It captures the whole thing in a nutshell for me. I've been having a consciousness crisis about this 'scene' for longer than the past week but that Kesey moment captures everything I love about this band and movement.

On a total aside has anyone heard the fact that Bill Graham had vied to manage the Stones when they came out of retirement and Michael Cohl (who essentially offered them something like an 80 million dollar signing bonus) snagged it. Bill apparently had a nervous breakdown over this specifically and was never the same, dying not long after.

culled this off the net:

"Barring any breaking news stories, Charlie Rose's piece on the Dead

will air on Wednesday November 12th on CBS from 8-9 PM EST.

There will be some bits from their impromptu acoustic gig at 710

Ashbury and Phil and Billy talk very candidly about Jerry's death.

Some old stuff for the American viewing public and some new stuff for

all the heads out there.

-Michael

60 Minutes II"

Archived