Jambands.ca

Montreal jazz/prog scene (re: Barr Bros.) info?

zero

I'm guessing Blane or BradM or a handful of you know the answer to this question. Basically what are the venues that these sort of open 'jam' collaborations happen at in Montreal. I know Barfly is one of them, the other one I always forget the name of but I thought someone from Godspeed owned it, there's one with Spaghetti in the name or maybe that's a night.

Where can I find info on these sorts of shows? The players who collaborate or how would I describe this scene to an outsider?

Matt's Moondata/Labprojects nights are pretty much always at O Patro Vys, and are pretty infrequent these days. They used to be regularly once a month.

They tend to include guys like Stef Schnider, jeremy gara, Brad, Matt himself, Sarah Page, etc. Seen a good number of them and they are lots of fun.

Venues that do this sort of stuff now are Le Cagibi (very small shows), Casa, Sala Rossa, Divan,

There's also a whole francophone scene with a different set of players and even different venue choices. THat falls into the "musique actuelle" camp of Jean Deromme, Rene Lussier, Pierre Tanguay, etc. who are also very great but lean more toward the free jazz category. Lion d'Or is a choice venue for them as is Casa Obscura. Check out Mardi Spaghetti as an ongoing event that they play at:

http://www.myspace.com/mardispaghetti

Edited by Guest

I know all those francophone guys Jean Derome is the only 'dude' in the bunch, Lussier's a hair tosser. Basically my only improvements made in my french apart from talking to the occasional neighbour were from working the Guelph Jazz Fest and chatting with those cats. And Tom Walsh! That guy's legendary.

2732_1394_n.jpg

Tom Walsh is an anglo clearly but speaks perfect french of course. He's like a Cassidy type figure in the Quebecois free jazz scene. His group N.O.M.A. is legendary for playing exceedingly infrequent concerts and his elaborate concepts around not just tromobone the instument of his choice but his use of micro-samples triggered through keyboards. Got this email from him not that long ago.

i head back to mtl from budapest in 2 days;

these days i've thrown together a 4-bone sextet

(dropped out of bandleading 3 yrs ago for family /estate maintenance);

3 americans: steve swell, mike vlatkovich & dave taylor

& 3 canadians: jean martin, john geggie & me.

guelph was nibbling, but...

i'll keep u posted of the other 2 groups i'm running when i'm back;

need sleep now!

cheers,

tomi