Jambands.ca

West Coast Islands

CyberHippie

Hey - I figure a good bunch of folks around here have probably spent some time on the left coast. I'm planning on hitting some of the islands, checking out Toffino and some combination of Salt Spring, Pender, Cortes, etc...

Just wondering what your favourite places are out there. Any good recommendations for cool budget places to stay? Either camping or cabin or other...

Thanks!

Last time we were out towards Tofino we stayed south in Ucluelet. It seemed a lot quieter and away from all the tourist nonsense of Tofino. I think it was about 30-40 minutes by car from Tofino with all the killer beaches along the way. I think we stayed at the C & N Hostel. There were two couples traveling so we each booked a private room at the hostel. When we were there we partied with a bunch of Germans for a few nights and had a blast! Very affordable and clean.

Pender Island is fun, but Cortes Island is amazing!

By far my favourite Gulf Island in BC. You're going to want to move there, trust me.

It is a bit of a journey though so be prepared. First you have to drive up to Campbell River then take a ferry to Quadra Island then a 45 minute ferry to Cortes. It's a huge Island with only 400 people living there. Be sure to go and visit Yendor (that's Rodney spelled backwards). He is a drum maker who often holds drum making workshops. I have 2 Djembe's from him that come from Ghana as he is part of a cooperative over in Africa.

There was a great hostel there last time I went (but that was back in `95)...pretty sure it sold. Look for it though as it may still exist. It was called Amigo's and owned by a really great couple.

Eat some oysters while you are there (best I have ever had)!

Also, go to Linnaea Farm..it's awesome.

315 acres of trails through beautiful forest and meadows.

Linnaea

I'm jealous. I want property there so bad!

Hornby Island is the Hawaii of Canada. White sand beaches, six gill sharks, artists, hippies. Hornby ROCKS!

edit: just checked wikipedia and they have Cortes population at 1042 in 2006. Population has grown a lot since I was there!

Edited by Guest