Jambands.ca

New Copyright Bill

deranger

Ah, is anyone else concerned about this? Tony Clement has been making the rounds to promote/explain this new copyright bill and frankly I'm a bit concerned.

Does anyone have any idea as to the possibility that this bill will in fact pass?

I can only assume that ALL CD/DVD manufacturers will put these so-called "digital locks" on their product making burning a CD illegal.

So again, is anyone else concerned about this?

yeah, i'm concerned whenever the gov't misrepresents ownership freedom as theft. how can they stop me from taking something that is digital and use it on the many digital devices capable of playing/viewing it?

It's bizarre. I also wonder how this covers streaming too. Can one source legally stream to multiple receivers? It doesn't make any sense. I think that if you've got your entire music library on a media server, this bill would suggest that it would be illegal to access the media from multiple devices (computers, xbox 360's, ps3's, apple airport, etc)

In relation, I heard a soundbite on CBC radio a couple days ago wherein the speaker was explaining that 'the days for Canadians sharing files on P2P neworks are numbered.' It was quite the arrogant statement- not sure who it was but the guy must have been a Tory.

This might be the time to email your local MP and voice your concern, REGARDLESS, of your MP's party.

I don't know enough about the technology and surrounding logistics to state whether this is in fact the end of file-sharing, but the thought that I can't burn a CD I bought to put on my Ipod is fuckin ridiculous.

So I emailed my MP and his 'assistant' replied to me.

If I want to take a CD or DVD I purchase and put it on my computer to upload to a digital device or transfer it to another medium for personal use, I could be fined thousands of dollars?

This is true under the current legislation.

We are reducing penalties.

For a Mixed CD or movie disc?

This is true under the current legislation. We are reducing penalties.

On one hand the official line suggests that I would be able to do this, but with locked media i would be a criminal to do so.

This is not a criminal offence but you could be sued by the copyright holder.

Please fill me in and let me know where you stand.

This Bill has been introduced. It will now go to Second Reading debate where objections will be heard and them it will go to committee where it will be studied and throughout this process Canadians will be consulted. Mr. Brown supports this process.

I trust this assists you.

Perhaps I'm not asking the right questions/making my concerns quite clear enough...but then again I'm not sure that I'm sure what my concerns really are. I rarely download, but when i think to grab mixes or files I certainly didn't purchase them.

I love grabbing stuff for later listening, but my drive has lots of albums that I haven't even listened to, let alone live shows.

Hell, my CD collection has virgin discs.

I wonder how the change in legislation will direct casual listeners/consumers

I support the bill for the most part, albeit it is flawed. It has more protection measures for independent musicians and their copyrights, which is a good thing.

Do you think this bill will somehow magically get people to buy music that they don't want to buy? That's one of the flaws that I notice is never questioned.