Jambands.ca

The maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas

Davey Boy 2.0

He's mostly right unfortunately. I've found that organizations which we often treasure as protective bodies, and that go unquestioned most of the time, tend to structure themselves in ways that preclude opposition from within. It's hard to get a project started sometimes due to the red tape, let alone one that frames itself by challenging red tape. Cultural Critique is alive and well, but the social sciences have developed such excellent languages for talking about these things, and so few people understand them, that the conversation stays relatively small and remains ineffectual. I disagree heartily with his point that Capitalism is a "revolutionary" force though. Revolution is a human capacity that ultimately demonstrates the existence of a trend toward the common good, not towards fetishistic disavowal of social responsibility.

Trust me. If you use "pointy-headed" intellectual talk people accuse you of "twisting things". Ask Nietzsche.

Spot-on, I think - there is that insider-privilege thing that goes on so often among people purportedly working for the common good. Maybe it's a result of critique having been forced to the margins, so that the people that manage to carve out a niche there end up getting all territorial about it. Whenever the term "postmodernism" comes up with my students (which, thankfully, is less and less each year), I always get into the Sokal affair, and how pomo was just a clever way of saying that there are no absolutes (which Nietzsche did so well) while sticking your head up your own ass at the same time.

"Revolutionary", though, is such a loaded term. Hedges points to it in the Marxist sense, as antithesis to feudalism, so in that way it's really a neutral concept - even (especially?) in the sense that revolutions seem to always end up devouring their own children.

I'm not convinced that it's possible in The Big Picture for an enlightened, "common good" mode of social organisation can ever come about, at least, not as we can presently conceive it - not unless some miracle happened and everybody suddenly "got" that our power over one another and our environment has always been our most intimate nemesis.

I mean, who's got more just pop-cultural clout, Gandhi or Che Guevara?