Jambands.ca

My Morning Jack hit the studio

DevO

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/189061

My Morning Jacket Hit the Studio

Band recording follow-up to 'Evil Urges' in Louisville, Kentucky church

By Patrick Doyle

Aug 05, 2010 2:46 PM EDT

Last weekend, Jim James played a stunning acoustic set at the Newport Folk Festival and showed up onstage with both the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and folk legend John Prine. Backstage, the My Morning Jacket frontman told Rolling Stone the band is currently recording the follow-up to 2008's Evil Urges in their hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. "We've got five songs done," he says. "We've worked a couple weeks. We're going to do another month. It'll probably be out mid-next year — probably May."

James says that he is co-producing the album with Tucker Martine, who produced the Decemberists' The Crane Wife and Hazards of Love discs. "We're recording it in a church in Louisville," he says. "We've never made a record in Louisville before."

James calls Evil Urges, which was recorded in Colorado and New York, "the hardest record we've ever made." The new sessions sound more upbeat. "I'm really excited," he says. "It's all live, so the vibe is really, really good, really wholesome. There's something about it. We've done stuff mostly live but then you do some overdubs, some vocals, or whatever. But we're trying to do everything other than maybe strings live. There's just something old and dirty about it."

Since Evil Urges, the band has been busy with various side projects. James released George Harrison tribute EP Tribute To and appeared on the Monsters of Folk. Guitarist Carl Broemel will release his second solo album All Birds Say on August 31st. My Morning Jacket will play all five of their albums during a five-night stand in October at New York's Terminal 5. In late August, they will support Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for three dates in Massachusetts and New Jersey. "I'm looking forward to it," says James. "It'd be awesome if we get to play with him."

Wow, "shark-jump"? Really?

I consideer "Evil Urges" to be an excellent example of a band evolving and branching out. Either way we can both agree MOF, was indeed, kick ass!

So glad they're back in the studio

The techno stuff was hard to stomach on EU. That album also lacked hard-hitters comparable to Z and It Still Moves.

However, I did like that they take chances and EU material does play out well in concert. Looking forward to the new album.

I consideer "Evil Urges" to be an excellent example of a band evolving and branching out.

Branching out to make a shit album....

I'm excited to hear a church recording, that should be sweet.

Hopefully they play some new stuff during the NYC run.