Jambands.ca

Need a new CC...suggestions?

Chewie

I just picked up a Costco Amex. It's good as long as you don't carry a balance each month, the interest rates aren't friendly.

You get 3% back on all restaurant purchases, 2% back on gas and 1.5% on all Costco purchases (money paid back monthly). I use it for those purchases exclusively and put everything else on my Scotia Cash Back Visa (1.5% back on all purchases- paid annually).

Don't close the TD you're getting rid of - closing them is bad on the credit (I think - you may want to double check this).

I'm a CIBC Aeroplan guy myself - decent flights via Air Canada. Takes about 15000 points (1+/dollar) to hit NYC/MKE/CHI/BOS etc. 25,000 gets you to Calgary/Halifax.

35,000 gets you to NOLA/MEX

Thanks folks. I'm gonna do so more homework...especially the affecting credit score for closing one.

TD Visa raised my interest rate from 9.5% to 21% b/c my wife missed last month's payment by 8 days. (total oversight on her part and Immediately paid off 25% of the balance when she realized she was late). I've had that card for YEARS. and this is how they treat me? fugg em

In that situation, I would talk with customer service, someone higher up and let them know the situations. You don't feel you were treated fairly and will be looking for another CC if they don't do something to make it up to you.

Know in advance what other deals are out there and make them beat it. TD likely won't want to lose a good client who will likely make them lots of money in the years to come.