Jambands.ca

Chris Brown and Kate Fenner last night

DevO

were tight, beautiful and perfecto! Tony Scherr (backing on guitar and bass) has taken his place as one of my favourite musicians out there as well. The show filled up the back room of The Piston (formerly Concord Cafe I believe) with about 100 people or so. I highly recommend checking out their show tonight (Kingston) or tomorrow night in Wakefield.

Thanks to Luke for plugging this show, wouldn't have known about it otherwise. :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=144127875619232&index=1

It really was a truly truly beautiful show. I'm biased as I've been a fan of the Bourbons for years and am fortunate enough that I became friends with Chris and Kate at one point but I really believe they're some of our finest cultural exports (Chris splits his time between Brooklyn and Wolfe Island, where he helped get the festival off the grand but has oddly not been invited to participate since, Kate lives in Manhattan with her husband and child). I hadn't seen them in 5 years, other than the Bourbons reunion at Hillside's 25th anniversary I want to say they've played here a really limited number of times.

Both are fairly in demand (particularly Chris) as session guys and he produces alot of stuff. His focus is very much on activism of course and he is very passionate about the prison farm issue in Kingston as he mentioned a number of times by anecdote during the show.

They're working on an album of new material for the first time in years. Again it was really as Kev mentioned (and yes, Tony played some monster bass and guitar, Chris Miller joined on 12 string for the 'encore'). They had the audience (including yes, Gabrielle and Jason Collett whom Kate described as their 'corporate sponsors' - lodging and feeding them) rapt with admiration. I cried for most of it. I wasn't the only one.

i would love to go see these guys again. Wayyyyy back we would see the Bourbs almost weekly around the clubs in Toronto after they won the high school battle of the bands at the Masonic Temple. Damn they were so much fun. Missed their reunion show last year.

Chris and Kate are top knotch. I wish they'd do more dates around here :)

That's hilarious I remember that Battle of the Bands too. I want to say they beat (being fellow Lawrence Park C.I. alums- although I'm 95% certain Chris never graduated) the Rustic Gomers from Leaside who were sort of a country rock unit. Chris Coules - one of the better banjo players in the city was in that band.