Jambands.ca

Why do hippies still exist in America?

Hartamophone

Some enlightening stuff here.

"Some enlightening stuff here," he says, his lips dripping purple.

It is a pretty fun read if you make yourself a promise to take it all lightly.

I've never identified as a hippie, but even I took offense to suggestions such as that the culture is but an enduring "teenage fashion fad". From there it gets increasingly provocative -- 'perverted medical science', have they? That's one hell of an allegation, and one that I think gives the sub-culture even maybe a bit too much credit.

The very helpful guide providing guidance on how to distinguish between a hippie and a hipster will be quite helpful to many confused readers, I'm sure.

I'll admit to only scanning the article, but I came out unconvinced that they ever answered their initial question -- "why do hippies still exist in America". Although perhaps they hadn't set out to actually answer that question, but it is more an exasperated statement that never wanted answering. "Good God, why in the hell are these people still lingering around? It doesn't make any sense to me. And let me tell you everything about hippies that I hate .."

"The Phish"?

The Phish play for a younger, more innocent crowd less concerned about social activism and more preoccupied with a sarcastic disdain for conformity. The songs revolve around the absurd, yet still force the simpleminded to celebrate self-indulgence and radical consumerism. For fans of The Phish, life is about expressing an identity through purchasing “green†products and watching adult cartoons. They will abuse drugs and frustrate their parents, but never enough to land in jail or lose their allowances (even into adulthood). Masturbation and LSD are also shockingly common in this crowd. For your average Phish concert-goer, it’s not uncommon for them to awake in odd circumstances (at the side of a road, wallet emptied and their body covered in bruises, for example) with no recollection of what transpired the night before. This cycle of amnesia is what keeps them coming back for more shows as they try to figure out what they could have possibly done to themselves.

Not entirely inaccurate, I have to admit.