Jambands.ca

I really need some new music...

jon.

Guest Low Roller

Honestly dude, just go to Sharing The Groove and go to town. Everything is guaranteed to kick ass.

In the past week I've downloaded CD quality live shows from bands like Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, moe., Jerry Garcia and John Grisman, Kula Shaker, Miles Davis, Sting and Brandford Marsalis, and Stone Temple Pilots.

I find it hard to specifically recommend anything without knowing your tastes in the first place.

Ya- i've just dicovered sharing..but i'm talking about something totally new. With the exception of Kula Shaker, I'm pretty familiar with those bands.

I'm looking for something new and fresh(mind you i will be checking out kula shaker....

Actually, does anyone know a place to download some Recepie from a Small Planet? Those dudes played after us at CTMF on labour day...i was really impressed.

Guest Low Roller

"New and fresh" huh? In that case you're in luck. I'm stoned and I feel like typing.

First off I need to recommend Radiohead. Don't hate them automatically because they get radio airplay. If you're a more traditional guitar-rock kinda person, get their "The Bends" album. If you're slightly experimenting with the electronica genre get "Ok Computer". If you're right out of your fugging mind get "Kid A". That one is my favorite.

Another band that's caught my attention is Gotan Project. Now this one is catch 22, because either you'll love them or you'll hate them. It involves tango music. A lot of it. But it's really good because it's mixed with a couple of DJs that really drop some deep trip-hop rhythms. It's like chocolate meeting peanut butter. If you don't hate Reese's Pieces, you won't hate Gotan Project.

You heard of moe. right?

Jon, a few bands for you.

Uncle Sammy- Unfortunately, they broke up this past September, but they were fantastic. Did everything extremely well. www.unclesammy.com or an archive.

Smokestack- go to www.smokestack.org and you'll hear something so good, you'll wet yourself.

Gabe Dixon Band- the most thoughful and well done pop in ages.

I'd recommend Death Cab For Cutie (M would concur).

Also Mojave 3 (Burt Neilson boys would concur).

I believe Jer from Burt's favourite group is Grandaddy but I don't know anything about them.

As always the Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People has to be heard.

Soft Canyon is worth a listen or two.

Fila Brazillia - I went to their show in toronto a couple years ago, and was blown away by the energy... they have lots of albums, I only have one... Jump Leads. they're a 3 pc. and swap instruments on stage...

The Herbaliser - I lent 'session one' to Schwa. and I think he liked it...

Thievery Corporation - why not.

all of these bands incorporate dj'ing/programming, but hey, thats where i'm coming from. enjoy!

I cannot resist this thread! Tortoise man, tortoise! From Chicago...epic post-rock, spaghetti western madness. Domakesaythink...from T dot, orchestral,emotional, at times too good to be true! New record called WinterHymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn. All IMO oooooof course but it's great and far from jammy. cheers.

check out Kinky from Mexico. (you can easily find their song "mirando de lado" on Kazaa. (Progressive electronica/salsa) They will be huge soon.

Grandaddy has been a personal favorite of mine for a while. d'load the song "The Crystal Lake" from Kazaa to get an idea of what they're like. (Neil Young meets Pac Man) Their website is very entertaining as well Grandaddy website

DJ Format also rocks. Lots of breakbeat with some cameos from J5 among many others. The video "We Know Something You Don't Know" feat. Chali 2na and Akil from J5 still makes me laugh out loud when I see it (also available from Kazaa) plus the track kicks ass.

g'luck

Archived