Jambands.ca

Free online virus protection?

Velvet

this comes in very handy...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Agreed. I had a 2 year license but have since let it run out, the free version is still solid though.

I also use Glary Utilities (free) and have found that it finds some stuff malwarebytes missed, but also misses some stuff malwarebytes picked up. So I run both ever couple days. Glary also has a ton of other utilities for cleaning up your system, although some you need to be careful with if your not really experienced with your system files. You could delete something your cpu/OS needs.

Also, I notice Adaware (free) has beefed up it's free version now-a-days. I stopped using it when I hopped on the malwarebytes bandwagon, but recently read some good reviews (although it was always a good utility) about the new free features and I've been using that for my weekly deep/full scans and have been really impressed by it.

I'm also running a 30 day trial of Emsisoft's anti-malware program and I'm pretty impressed with it's real-time blocking of tracking cookies, harmful scripts etc. Not sure I'll buy it though, but it seems like a good app so far. Very low system resource footprint as well.

Not really what Todd was asking about, but in case anyone was interested.

2nd on Avira

If your bothered by Avira free pop-up asking you to buy the full version, you can turn it off (so to speak) easily by denying the "Read and Execute" option of the "avnotify.exe" file in the program folder.

Instructions how to do this can be found here. (No Mac instructions though)

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir

Heads up: For Windows 7 Home/Premium (32/64 bit), or Vista Home/Premium users, make sure you read the Windows 7 Home/Premium or Vista Home/Premium instructions (they are labeled as such). Windows 7/Vista Home version don't have a group policy option like the Business/Ultimate versions have.