Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Phish @ Pine Knob

scottieking

Great show so far!

Listening to DwD -> Fluffhead I don't hear a technically perfect Trey- but what I do hear is a man who believes in himself again. His playing seems pointed, powerful and without hesitation. There are lots of fun moments during DwD and I can't remember the last Fluffhead that Trey ATTACKED like this.

Forget the flubs; its all about the purpose and the placement.

I have been doing this awhile, and all that Friday showed me was still after all these years, there's is plenty of magic still to come. That I was lucky enough to catch one of those shows. You know the one were you look in your Almanac has all the awesome reviews, maybe in a Phan Pick, this was one of those shows.

Pre Show, it was a beautiful night. Very relaxed lot scene. Some beers and homemade subs. The folks we were staying with knew the back way in and out (which by the way is right in front of one of the gates, dirt road) Had pavillions, Fishman side , great stuff. Of course its Mike's birthday and Gordo looked spiffy.

Set 1: Wolfman's Brother, Funky Bitch, Sample in a Jar, NICU[1], Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Tela > Chalk Dust Torture, The Wedge

Set 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Fluffhead > David Bowie, Waste > Also Sprach Zarathustra[3] > Cavern

Encore: Good Times Bad Times

[1] Happy birthday wish from Trey to Mike; Happy Birthday tease from Trey.

[2] Happy Birthday tease and A Love Supreme jam.

[3] Sex Machine and Super Bad teases from Trey.

The thing about this show was it had no stinkers. Zero. Sure you may not love Tela but it's beautifully placed for a rest and on a hot summer night, why not? Tremendous energy and commitment from the crowd.

The first set could have been a second set. Great jams up front to start, the Chalkdust had some nice sticotto jams. But that second set, transcendent. The DWD was so good live, I haven't dared listen to it yet, and I think I will try to get an Aud recording for this, because the way the crowd was pushing, you need to hear it. Everyone knew what was happening. The Fluffhead, savage and tight, into Bowie, more jammed out than I've heard in years. 1 hour 3 songs. Waste cool down, 2001 with James Brown teases (I knew I wasn't crazy) re ignition and boom, dance all the way home. Complete show. A++

I temper this review of course, knowing that I had a great night in a great section and that this will be my only show for the summer. But this was a top notch show I would recommend to any phan.I took a friend who had never seen Phish before. What a show for him! He asked me if it was always like this. I said no, but when you catch one like this, you're in for good.

Edited by Guest
hungover

My first show in 7 years and I loved every second of it too. Great playing, great setlist!! I finally really remembered why I loved Phish so much. They blew me away. Especially Mike! Good sight lines from where we were on the lawn. Nice to see a bunch of you Ottawa and Chatham skanks, too brief though.