Jambands.ca

questions for a return to Canadia (Ottawa specifically)

Blane

hi again folks,

move is just about finalised, and I've rented myself a nice looking place in the Glebe, which should be pretty fun.

A few questions for anybody who has an opinion on the matter:

- Who offers the best deals on mobile phone packages? Have never had one in Canada before but am thinking I'll forego the land line and go straight into mobile land.

-That said, what's the deal with getting high speed internet if you don't have a TV (for cable connection) or phone (for DSL)? Can you get high speed DSL from somewhere like Teksavvy and not get phone connection with it?

- where should one go for quality used furniture in Ottawa?

Thanks for any advice!

we do Tekksavvy for internet- the connection is great and we get a huge package. I think it is roughly $50/mth.

We do not have a home phone with them.

Teksavvy and Start.ca are sweet high bandwidth and fast speed at a good price.

I use Vonage for phone and Start.ca for internet. No Bell. No Cogeco. No Rogers.

Teksavvy in our household. Cheap, tons of bandwidth, just get the 300gig package as they allow unlimited action at night so it's pretty hard to go over if you set a timer on your torrent client for gigantic downloads (I've yet to bother because we're never close to 300gigs).

Ottawa's cable lines are considered some of the most congested in the country so we went with DSL, yeah less speed for the same price but it's consistently fast in Orleans (the speed is always above what we're paying for). You'll get put on hold for customer service (you'll have to make a call to set up your modem depending on where you purchase it) but it wasn't bad. Friendly service.

I get my cell through work but Mel just switched over to Koodo and is very happy and it seems to be cheap (enough data, unlimited texts but the calling minutes are fairly limited so her cheap ass package may not be for you). I think Wind is considered cheap as well but I don't know anyone with their plan.

I think I can get you (no guarantees) a free office chair and desk and maybe even a nice table. Depending on my employer's mood it may be a few bucks.

There's this crappy band called Burnt Reynolds that occasionally plays in the Glebe. We'll have to check them out some time.

edit: I may even have a free Google Nexus S cell phone for you (it's a little wonky and needs the occasional battery pull) but it's a good, fast, modern phone (running cyanogenmod ICS) but that's only if my hardware upgrade applies to an iPhone5 and the business package we have at work.

Edited by Guest

thanks Dave! Sounds great. Forgot to add that I'll be arriving sometime between the 4th and 6th of November (my original post kind of reads like I already arrived!).

Once all my shit gets transferred from my storage unit in Montreal I'll do a bit of a stock take and get back to you on the office stuff. Will definitely be needing a phone so I'll get back to you on that too.

Talk soon!

I have internet through CIA.com. It's superfast DSL (or cable, your choice), there's no bandwidth limit nor throttling. It also comes with a free VoIP phone line with al the features you need, emails your voicemail to you, call waiting, call display, free long distance to most places in canada and 5 cents per minute to places that aren't free. International calls are cheap too but that's what Skype is for. Also comes with a calling card so you can get these rates from any phone. This plan runs me $50 / month plus $10 / month for renting the modem and VoIP adapter.