Jambands.ca

Built To Spill high on top 100 albums of 90's

kung

I was quite surprised to see that on PitchforkMedia's top 100 albums of the 90's that Built To Spill placed so high. They were given credit as the 24th and 22nd albums (There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Perfect From Now On respectively). This is coming from the music geeks music geek website- I hadn't realized they were respected outside of the college/jam world.

Check out the list at Pitchforkmedia

Guest Low Roller

Pitchfork is usually bang on with their reviews. I have used them as a trusted source to discover new music for a long time. Oh, and they HATE jamband music.

Can you recall any good jamband cut-ups they've used in the past? I find them to be the masters of the burn. God how beautiful a review of Untying The Not would be, from the puky pseudo hippy shite title on down. I can just see it now a 0.6/10 on the Pitchfork scale. Seriously though I was really surprised that Built To Spill was that high on their list. The last twenty come out tomorrow (Pavement Slanted and Enchanted hasn't appeared yet- or any Pavement, neither has Pixies Surfer Rosa- such a good album)....

Guest Low Roller

I haven't gone over the list yet, I'll probably do it tonight.

They recently slammed String Cheese Incident HARD when reporting on the Hep A outbreak at their shows.

I also remember the terms "Reprehensible" and "Jamband" being used in the same sentence.

Ah, good 'ol Pitchfork....

Oh yeah I forgot about that I can't believe I didn't try to get more play off it:

quote:

Traveling String Cheese Incident Fans Spread...Er, "Share" Hepatitis

Dick cheese incident another health matter entirely

Ashford Tucker reports:

According to the Houston Chronicle, Washington Times and KindWeb.com, loads of silly jerks who follow the reprehensible shitgrass band The String Cheese Incident from town to town are spreading (ummm...we, like, prefer "sharing" to "spreading," dude) the hepatitis A virus at an alarming rate. Though not quite a full blown social epidemic just yet, the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta states that it will focus on vaccinating "kids who travel with the band."

Vaccinations were given for free at the band's recent Oakland, CA concert. Hepatitis A causes nausea and vomiting for approximately a week or two. It's not usually life-threatening, though, unlike its bad motherfucking older brother hepatitis B. And hepatitis C, you remember, is what Pam and Tommy gave each other and then tried to play off as the result of a tattooing accident.

The A strain of hepatitis, in fact, is not generally found in nations with developed sanitation systems.
It's not so much a needles-and-sex-virus as it is a wipe-ass-with-hand-while-drinking-from-the-Ganges-virus. So, moms and dads, tell little Billy to take a freakin' bath every week or so while on "tour." Or don't-- I mean, if Billy liked listening to you, he probably wouldn't be an acid-devouring gypsy wasting away the most productive years of his life running away from you and sleeping in friends' Vanagons.

In closing, we here at Pitchfork would like to beg all of the
simple fucks
involved to begin a rigorous regimen of washing before they resurrect the bubonic plague and plunge us back into the dark ages. I'm not sure the Arab world would bail us all out again.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

It was nice to see The Beta Band's Three Ep's sitting at #23. A brilliant album, albeit a compilation.

I still haven't listened to that album. There's too much freakin' music everywhere, it's almost impossible to catch up!!!

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

Can you recall any good jamband cut-ups they've used in the past? I find them to be the masters of the burn. God how beautiful a review of Untying The Not would be, from the puky pseudo hippy shite title on down. I can just see it now a 0.6/10 on the Pitchfork scale. Seriously though I was really surprised that Built To Spill was that high on their list. The last twenty come out tomorrow (Pavement Slanted and Enchanted hasn't appeared yet- or any Pavement, neither has Pixies Surfer Rosa- such a good album)....

if you don't wanna wait, the Dust Congress has tomorrow's Pitchfork top 25 here:

Top secret snoopy stuff

As for the Pixies' Surfer Rosa, it came out in 1988 so it is ineligible. Only Trompe Le Monde was actually released in the 90s.

The top 20 is up. Glad to see that I'm not a total ignoramus and that Pavement made it into the top ten twice as did (surprise, surprise) the Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin.

010: Guided by Voices

Bee Thousand

009: Bonnie "Prince" Billy

I See a Darkness

008: Pavement

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

007: DJ Shadow

...Endtroducing

006: Nirvana

Nevermind

005: Pavement

Slanted & Enchanted

004: Neutral Milk Hotel

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

003: The Flaming Lips

The Soft Bulletin

002: My Bloody Valentine

Loveless

001: Radiohead

OK Computer

And how about this for a write up of the Flaming Lips:

quote:

As an aging, sarcastic man, The Flaming Lips remain my favorite contemporary group because they demolish two short-sighted contemporary rock 'n' roll notions: you have to be young and serious. Wayne's salt-and-pepper beard, pea coat and bullhorn raised the bar for any musician pushing forty. Another debatable myth dispelled by The Soft Bulletin is that heroin destroys. Steven Drozd's addiction to the horse was hard and heavy right through the production of Yoshimi, and his addition to the band clearly took them to their current creative level. Aside from Keith Richards, has anyone produced such godlike music while mired in the junk, that it almost seems like an endorsement for the drug?

Remarkably, the band's music maintains a general air of feel-goodness while their lyrics concern sobering subjects as bleeding, bites, and mortality.
Death seeps from within every sweeping disco-ball light bath of a song, deep down to the drummer's gums.

Guest Low Roller

Well, in an exercise of boredom, I will post all the albums I own that made the top 100.

Ready?

Go!

095: Massive Attack- Mezzanine [Virgin; 1998]

085: Massive Attack- Blue Lines [Virgin; 1991]

082: Sonic Youth- Goo [DGC; 1990]

079: Dr. Dre- The Chronic [Death Row; 1992]

069: Jeff Buckley- Grace [Columbia; 1994]

064: The Breeders- Last Splash [4AD; 1993]

062: Aphex Twin- Selected Ambient Works, Vol. II [Warp; 1994]

055: Spiritualized- Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space [Dedicated; 1997]

048: Portishead- Dummy [Go! Discs; 1994]

046: Air- Moon Safari [Astralwerks; 1998]

035: Boards of Canada- Music Has the Right to Children [Warp; 1998]

034: Beastie Boys- Check Your Head [Grand Royal; 1992]

026: Weezer- Weezer [DGC; 1994]

019: Beck- Odelay [DGC; 1996]

018: Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream [Virgin; 1993]

017: Public Enemy- Fear of a Black Planet [Def Jam; 1990]

015: Radiohead- The Bends [Capitol; 1995]

013: Nirvana- In Utero [DGC; 1993]

006: Nirvana- Nevermind [DGC; 1991]

001: Radiohead- OK Computer [Capitol; 1997]

Ouch, 20 out of a 100. Sounds like my high school english lit. grade...

In my defense, no canadian indie records are present in this top 100. And some of them damn sure deserve to be in there.

Yeah the dearth of CanCon is a bit suspicious. You can bet that BSS You Forgot It In People will make it into the best of the millenium though. Also no Dinosaur Jr. I would have thought that Green Mind would have made it in somewhere at least - come on Gimmie Indie Rock. And no mutherfuckin' Ween- you're telling me that The Mollusk, White Pepper and Chocolate and Cheese don't even rank better than fucking Aphex Twin or Autechre or the fucking Orb or eight million other de rigeur pseudo hipster picks. I seriously want to know if these crit twits actually buy the shit they shovel or if there's a niggling part of them down deep that thinks this is so phony. Now I'm not saying they should go all Holden Caulfield Mark David Chapman on our asses but you know.

Lots of great music on that list, wow. Takin me right back to the 90s. I really love Pavement, one of my alltime faves for sure, but I dont think that Slanted and Enchanted is even close to their best. Its worthy of the top 100, sure. Is this list based on impact on humans or hip-music-media? either way, i agree with most of it. Not sure why Odelay-Beck isnt top 10, that is definitley one of the most important records of the 90s. and there are some notable exclusions..

(imo)

- Sea and Cake debut

- Soundgarden- badmotorfinger

- Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Orange

- Snoop Doggy Dogg, Doggystyle

not to mention all the ween records

Guest Low Roller

I believe that Pitchfork is basically experiencing what everyone who enjoys music is experience: the inability to listen to it all. Although their list seems to be very well researched and convincingly presented, it's impossible that they listened to everything that there is and still hold some sort of subjective point of view.

Just like the participants on jambands.ca & .com have their own bias towards their music, I suggest that Pitchfork also holds the same bias towards the music they prefer. It's only natural.

It's invariable that the Pitchfork Top 100 list and a Top 100 list on this web site, for example, will be completely different. Neither one will be right or wrong.

In the end the only real list that matters is the Muchmusic Top 20 Countdown. *snicker*

2 Pavement albums in the top ten is as good a validation of a top whatever list as there is, though I agree with monkey man that Slanted and Enchanted is not their best album. I think everyone just figures it was their "seminal" album, and even though nobody really knows what that means, they figure it merits more attention.

I'll take Brighten the Corners over S n E any day of the week, and even though so many people were so down on Wowee Zowee, I like that album more and more every time I listen to it. It's kind of disjointed, but there are so many great individual songs that you have no choice but to rock out.

Aside from that, I need to get or steal much more of the music I saw on that list. Maybe a bit of both for balance...

Archived