Jambands.ca

Spotify in Canada

bouche

Spotify launched one of those invite thingies for Canada.  https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/invite/

I signed up a couple of weeks ago, and got an invite today.  The free tier seems to be open to the entire library, forcing audio ads in between tracks after a number of songs played.

Is anyone else trying it?   Rdio is very similar, but I don't think the free tier is quite as functional.

Ahhh, makes sense.
I found the value in buying a subscription being that I don't buy CD's anymore (unless it is a CD that friends put out, ie. Diesel Dog) and rarely download from iTunes. I'm not all innocent though ;)

I have found that Rdio pays artists more than other streaming services on a per stream basis. From what I gather,Sspotify has a lot more people using their service though, so artists actually get paid more from Spotify than Rdio. I wonder why some artists don't allow their music on services if it pays them to do so. A big one missing from Rdio, that I would love to see there, is Tool. I guess Maynard would prefer people steal music.

streamingpayout1.jpg?b56280

I've been using Rdio on and off for a few years.   I like that I can unsubscribe at anytime and then re-activate if I need more music access.   I haven't figured out if Spotify will allow the same thing.  

Also rdio is supported by Sonos natively, so I don't know if Spotify will work through the sonos controller the same way.

I have found that Rdio pays artists more than other streaming services. 

Whatever you've read about that, they all pay very very VERY little so there's a very insignificant difference between which streaming service you choose to use.  

Charts!  http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/02/21/favoritepays

Some people even think that torrenting is more beneficial for the artsts than paying for a streaming service.  That's probably more about justifying torrenting using foggy facts.

http://vancouverweekly.com/why-spotify-and-rdio-are-worse-than-torrenting/

@boiler rat I just saw your awesome graphic post.  when I read it at work, it must have been blocked.  ha.

So I cancelled my rdio account and tried to get the premium spotify. It's also supported on Sonos...nice.  I can't seem to change my billing to Canada since I apparently setup my account with Unblock-us on so I had a US account.  I had to request to change my country to canada and they responded that it will change within 48 hours.  weird...but cool in the sense that it wasn't hard to have a US account while it was blocked here.

Also, I attempted to cancel my Sirius/XM account last year ($20/mth!) and they talked me into an $8/mth sub.  They promised me they wouldn't auto-renew.  Then today, I wondered why it was still working.  I looked back at my mastercard bills and there it was.... an auto-renew of $225 from Sirius/XM! Those dick holes didn't even contact me to ask or warn that they were going to bill me a ridiculous amount.  So I called, they offered to set it back to $87 for the year but I declined.  Cancelled finally.  

I'll miss Jam On.  That's all I ever had it tuned to.

My experience with Sirius has been the opposite of what you guys have gone through..... but I do have a reminder set for me to call them just before my subscription is about to run out. The last time I called I paid $48 for a full year. I can live with that.

I wish I'd gone all in on the lifetime subscription when they were offering that back when they launched. My brother paid $300 for two full radio set ups and two full lifetime subscriptions. That was 11 years ago and everything is still working fine- he even had one radio replaced on warranty for free when the display started to fade.

If they offered my $48, i'd have taken it.  A guy at work had called not long before me to cancel/get a deal and they wouldn't go below $100.  It's like a raffle!

Phorbesie,  the lady was actually nice.  She was apologizing and went straight into cleaning up the auto-renewal and refunding me.  She asked if I'd stay on for the $87 and I told her it was still too much for the amount I tune in.  So she assured me I'd be credited the full amount and wished me a great day.

that's cool. 48$ per year is crazy good, i'm pretty sure ours is way more than that.  there has been several times that velvet spent literally an hour on the phone with them to get charges reversed.  to the point where we just decided to pay whatever to keep it continuously so as to never ever have to call them again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I won't be getting a premium account, I only use these type of services from home and don't listen to music on my phone anyway. Although I did try a free app called Air Stream that worked great for not only streaming music & video but accessing any files from my computer over my phone but since it's not something I typically do (or fully trust) I shelved it. If the occasional 10 second ads on spotify start to bother me enough I'll delete my account and the program from my computer.