Jambands.ca

Spotify in Canada

bouche

• 2 weeks later...
Spotify launches web app to ‘Canadify’ your music selection.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/10/09/spotify-launches-web-app-to-canadify-your-music-selection/?__lsa=14eb-77f0

Spotify, one of the biggest names in music streaming, has launched a web app to help people “Canadify” their listening choices.

Enter any musical artist into the app, dubbed “Listen Like a Canadian”, and the program will recommend some Canucks who have a similar sound.

“Our goal with Spotify Canada is to integrate seamlessly with the listening needs of Canadians… [The app] can lead to some interesting listening and certainly shows the range and depth of great music coming from Canada,” the company said in a statement.

The app uses music intelligence from The Echo Nest, a Spotify subsidiary, to analyze the music of the artist entered to find similar Canadian matches.

For example, a search for “Radiohead” in the web app generates results featuring Canadian indie rock bands Arcade Fire, The Dears and Broken Social Scene.

Users can save the results as a playlist as well. The app is available in English, French and Chinese.

Spotify, which has 40 million active users worldwide, officially launched in Canada late last month with 20 million songs and extra Canadian content, such as a Quebecois music library.

I recently discovered a ton of live phish in there. 

Btw, that canadify thing sounds horrible.  There are definitely Me Too acts out there but I don't think you can equate radiohead to arcade fire.

Platinum Blonde and Duran Duran...sure that's a little more accurate.

I recently discovered a ton of live phish in there. 

Btw, that canadify thing sounds horrible.  There are definitely Me Too acts out there but I don't think you can equate radiohead to arcade fire.

Platinum Blonde and Duran Duran...sure that's a little more accurate.

I imagine that comparison was probably made by reviewing what users who listen to either band also search and listen to. That's my assumption anyway, and based on what I've seen here on this forum alone it seems rather accurate to be honest.

I think the 'Canadify' option will be a welcome feature. Seems you won't have to use it if it doesn't suit your needs, so no big deal. I was trying to figure a way to do that exact thing not too long ago, so if it isn't a subscription feature (my guess: it will be) I'll probably make use of it.

I imagine that comparison was probably made by reviewing what users who listen to either band also search and listen to. That's my assumption anyway, and based on what I've seen here on this forum alone it seems rather accurate to be honest.

I think the 'Canadify' option will be a welcome feature. Seems you won't have to use it if it doesn't suit your needs, so no big deal. I was trying to figure a way to do that exact thing not too long ago, so if it isn't a subscription feature (my guess: it will be) I'll probably make use of it.

That's a more balanced thought than my cynical take.  I guess I don't see the need to canadify anything since taste knows no borders ;)

Bob Dylan = Neil Young

Cheap Trick=April Wine

Britanny Spears=Avril Lavigne

Bill Murray=Dan Aykroyd

JFK=Pierre Trudeau

Deep Throat=Pierre Poutine

Michael Jordan=Wayne Gretzky

that should be a new thread.  there's plenty to add, question and discover.  

? = Loverboy 

I guess I don't see the need to canadify anything since taste knows no borders ;)

I hear ya, and agree about no borders. But there are times when I'd like discovering new Canadian bands I haven't heard of, or have heard of but haven't taken the time to search them out and give a fair listen to.

That's something I've found cool about Spotify. I don't have to search out bands, tracks or d/l albums which I end up not liking aside from a single song. (also I'm not being a music pirate). However, I don't like the word 'Canadify' - especially after typing out a few times.  :lol:

• 7 months later...
Guest Low Roller

An interesting footnote, which I did not validate on my own just relaying it directly, is that Spotify pays artists $0.00225 per stream according to Brooklyn-based rapper Talib Kweli. On the other hand the much maligned Tidal streaming service pays up to ten times more, at around $0.024-0.028 per stream.

• 5 years later...
On 16/08/2014 at 12:35 PM, Northern Wish said:

My experience with Sirius has been the opposite of what you guys have gone through..... but I do have a reminder set for me to call them just before my subscription is about to run out. The last time I called I paid $48 for a full year. I can live with that.

I wish I'd gone all in on the lifetime subscription when they were offering that back when they launched. My brother paid $300 for two full radio set ups and two full lifetime subscriptions. That was 11 years ago and everything is still working fine- he even had one radio replaced on warranty for free when the display started to fade.

Class action lawsuit!!!

http://www.insideradio.com/free/nearly-1-million-people-will-get-lifetime-subscriptions-in-siriusxm-settlement/article_8535b348-6d0d-11eb-a831-430bacb6c9e6.html

12 hours ago, c-towns said:

According to the complaint, SiriusXM advertised and sold its lifetime subscriptions by leading consumers to believe that lifetime subscriptions were for the lifetime of the consumer. But when consumers tried to transfer their lifetime subscriptions from one satellite radio to another or from one vehicle to another, Sirius XM took the position that the “lifetime” referred to is not the lifetime of the purchasing consumer, but the lifetime of the receiver or automobile.

Trying to say that a "lifetime" Sirius subscription only refers to the lifetime your car or radio is all kinds of lame. I'm glad they're getting dinged for that. 

As far as Spotify goes, I have it and use it all the time. But I've been debating getting rid of it, mostly because of how little actually goes to the artists. 

Edited by Hartamophone

• 2 weeks later...