Jambands.ca

Phish Miami

Velvet

Just a quick report from the south. The shows have been fun, if not completely raging (last night's Weekapaugh being a notable exception). The weather is truly awesome and the strip of hotels around the venue is super-convenient. The NYE gag was pretty lame but who cares?

An added bonus: so far we have spend a total of $80 for two tickets to the first three shows. Yep, the shows have averaged less than $15 a ticket. Could easily be doing it for even cheaper too. Last night we were in our seats shortly after 8pm and the venue was empty. Was there 1,000 people in their seats at 8pm? A half hour later things were filling up, but still.

Tonight I'm calling Hood, YEM, Maze, Contact, with a Character Zero encore.

I am super-excited to visit the dezercollection.com on Monday!

You got your Maze, Zero and Hood, Velvet.  Good call.   :)  I was hoping for a Contact too but loved the Maze opener and the Good Times encore was a perfect ending to the run.  I'd suggest that "empty" is an overstatement, though.  NYE was full, and I would estimate that the remaining evenings ranged from 80% to 90% full once people were inside.  The shows didn't begin until after 8:15, and everyone knew that, so they just didnt bother to come in early because it was so nice outside.  Indeed, it was a slow clusterfuck outside for those who waited to come in late.  That the last three shows were not sold out was likely due to PTBM screwing folks with shitty uppers when they mail-ordered and they either didn't bother making the trip down or they upgraded.  I would suggest that Velvet getting tix for that cheap outside was the exception, not the rule.  i saw several face- or above face- transactions outside and there were very few good tix available for $15, sure maybe some uppers for that price (which would have been fine to get in and sneak down).  Honestly, I've seen it a lot worse with people dumping tix well below face at MSG than what I saw in Miami this year.  

I really enjoyed all four shows.  Had a real old school feel to the run.  :)  Happy New Year!  

I scored tickets for NYE for $40 each (section 314) and then got a free upgrade into the suite level at Guest Services. My PTBM GA floors for 1/1 were fine, but paled in comparison to the previous night.

Friggin amazing!!

I do wish I had stuck around for all 4 shows, it seems like the heat was at the end of the run. That said, lounging by a pool and walking on the beach during the day of a Phish show was an incredible feeling.

"I hope this happens once again".

Only one person I know paid more than $20 or a ticket over the whole run. And all my tix but one were in the 100's.

Night one: two singles for $10 each

Night two: a pair together for any amount, the guy said I could have them for free but anything I paid he would donate to Mockingbird. I gave him $40 for the pair.

Night three: one ticket free, one where the guy was ecstatic that I offered $20

Night four: one for free and one for $20. This was more work though, and I was pretty late getting in the door.

Lots of people were asking face but I never saw it happen.

As for the emptiness, was just saying that it was empty at 8pm and what a strange sight it was. By showtime things were filled in nicely.

Looking forward to getting back tonight. I hear it's cold up there?

I had seen Tim Palmieri play lots of years ago when nero played with Psychedelic Breakfast and was very interested in seeing him again.  That said the venue was packed and set up more for hanging outside than where the band was playing so I only caught about ten minutes inside watching the band and listened to the rest while hanging outside (you could hear really well out there but of course it ain't the same as being inside).

My impression is he's a great player and the band is stacked with likewise talent man for man.  The level of musicianship is just off the charts and it's really fun to watch.  I found the songs lacking in memorable hooks and parts that really drew me in beyond the musicianship but that's fine.  It's basically bebop-rock and should probably be listened to as such; I think if I was listening intensely and actively I would have been much more blown away.

The Motet were fun and funky and were great players too, but things were getting kinda drunk around my camp by then and my attention to the music got more marginal with every slur.