Jambands.ca

Free Daniel Lanois in Toronto on Saturday afternoon

Velvet

I'm hoping to pop in for this!  Lanois' studio is right across the road. He has played at the tiny cafe that is also on this block a few times..  Can't recall the name of the place but it doesn't comfortably hold any more than 15-20 people.

DevO here with your report back.  We showed up at about a quarter after 3 PM with plenty of time to stroll through the car mechanic's parking lot which was playing host to a dog-themed community gathering directly across the street from Lanois' studio. There were free ice cream sandwiches being handed out which was a cruel joke given how windy and cold it was already outside. Lots of dogs milling about but sadly no Maple, no Banjo.

Lanois played just inside the garage of the mechanic's shop. There were about 100-125 people or so. His trusty entourage was there, lookin freaky and taking photos and assisting (?) Lanois while he did Flesh & Machine era stuff. Lanois' first song was on the pedal steel. It was loud enough that two of the three speakers were fried by the end of the song, with smoke coming out of the one that I was standing near. 2nd song was The Maker, with an "old friend" of his whom I didn't recognize on a small drum kit. Up next he did one more on the acoustic, which I did not recognize and which was about the woman who owns the car shop (the venue). Not sure if he actually wrote it for her or if he just changed the lyrics to make it about her.  But I hadn't heard the song before. Next, about 3-4 Flesh & Machine songs, and polished off with JJ Leaves LA back on the pedal steel. Certainly worth the bike ride over!