Jambands.ca

The Least Essential Albums of 2003

dave-O

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I wonder why SCI's album didn't make the list...you know an album isn't essential when it doesn't even make the "Least Essential Albums" list...

Aloha,

Brad

least they got mentioned

quote:

(Today, it's easier to find any of The String Cheese Incident's dozens of live albums than it is to track down a new studio album by Prince.)

Guest Low Roller

Rob Mackey's Worst Album Titles of 2003

Use your delusion, vols. 1-10

Whether painfully inappropriate (see Mr. Cash's posthumous greatest-hits and odds and ends collection), unabashedly disgusting (see Shat's sophomorically titled suck-fest), or just goddamn nonsensical (see The Mars Volta's venture into Bohemian claptrap), each album lucky enough to win a spot on this year's list managed to break new ground for out- and-out stupidity in record naming. Though, instead of burdening you with a guns-out offensive against each isolated butchery of grace, idiom and better judgment, I'll let the titles speak for themselves. - Rob Mackey

10 Elad Love Affair: Woman Gives Birth To Gun And It Stabs Her

09 The Beatles: Let It Be... Naked

08 Ryan Adams: lloR N kcoR

07 Peaches: Fatherfucker

06 Shat: The Cunt Chronicles

05 The Piranhas: Erotic Grit Movies

04 Johnny Cash: Unearthed

03 The Mars Volta: De-Loused in the Comatorium

02 Of Montreal: If He Is Protecting Our Nation, Then Who Will Protect Big Oil, Our Children?

01 Joan of Arc: In Rape Fantasy and Terror Sex We Trust

[credit: pitchfork.com]

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

The most obvious " Least Essential ":

LEAST ESSENTIAL TRIBUTE ALBUM

Various Artists

The Acoustic Coffee House Presents: A Female Tribute To Creed

HOLY SHIT does this actually exist?!?!

If anyone is looking for a copy of String Cheese's "Untying The Shit Knot" it's still available on my front lawn.

Guest Low Roller

I'm always up for a little "Polaris" bashing. Where to start.... hmmm... oh I know:

What a piece of commercial shit.

I seem to remember three tracks that weren't bad, but the album as a whole is such tripe, that I refuse to soil my CD lens by playing it.

Believe it or not Jaimoe, I haven't listened to Elephant yet, although I'm going through a huge White Stripes kick right now. Soon enough.

Hey Roller,

Elephant is their most consistent album, but their best release is still De Stijl ( in my opinion ). However, Elephant has the best guitaring and it jams-out hard on many tracks. They don't have a bad album; in fact, their albums' are all different sounding and excellent.

With Polaris, I found it to be too " obvious " with it's homage to classic 70's rock, but not even remotely as good. Plus, the album is waaaaaay over-produced. Luther has a good blues voice, but he has no range for rock - probably why he doesn't sing in The Word.

Guest Low Roller

I've heard rave reviews of Elephant, and I'm seriously enjoying all the live shows I've downloaded. White Stripes in Montreal made my top 5 shows of the year as well.

Right now I'm still digesting their first two albums "White Stripes" and "De Stijl". I will get to Elephant eventually though.

Roller,

As I said before, you can't go wrong with any of their four albums. Elephant is my 2nd fav, but in any given day, any of their albums could be my fav. Their first album is scary delta-blues. De Stijl is a folk-blues masterpiece and White Blood Cells is full of garage anthems. All different, yet all essential.

Archived