Jambands.ca

Boxing Day Bargains?

bradm

OK, forget about what presents you got for Christmas, we all know that the real acquisitions occur the day after, during the sales. The stuff's cheaper than it is before Christmas*, and, since it's you buying stuff for yourself, you know it'll be what you want.

My main haunt on Dec. 26 is Sam the Record Man in Toronto. While it may have declared bankruptcy and closed a bunch of stores, the big one is still operating, and still doing its Boxing Day thing: 20% off everything in the store.

I hit the jazz section today, and picked up:

• Miles Davis / Friday & Saturday Night At The Blackhawk, Complete (4 CDs)
  • Bill Evans / Trio '64
  • Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette / Up For It
  • Metalwood / Chronic

With tax, the total came to just over $100; considering the Miles set was $60 before discount, I think I got a not-bad deal.

Aloha,

Brad

* Anybody else ever thought of moving your family's celebration until between Christmas and New Year's, just to allow gift-buyers to take advantage of Boxing Day prices?

Lets see... in the big chapters blow out sale at 75 % off today i picked up...

Neil Young live.. friends and relatives,

New Deal.. this is live

String Cheese.. Inside Out

Charlie Hunter... duo

Phish ... farmhouse

Phish ... Slip Stitch and Pass

Moby... collection from 93 to 98

Miles Davis Quintet 65 to 68

Totoise.. tnt

and one other that i cant recall right now all for less than 70 dollars... woohoo!

Anyone in the Hamilton area looking for deals on jazz, psych or afrobeat stuff on LP or CD should drop by where I work, Sonic Unyon Store. We have a sale on for three days (two days left) and everything in the store and in our warehouse is available in the deal - buy two items at regular price and you get a third item of equal or lesser value for free.

We don't have a lot of jamband stuff per se, but we have a lot of stuff that people would enjoy for sure - too much to mention. And if it's not on the shelf, ask them to look it up in the computer as we may have it in the warehouse in the back (trust me, there's about 30,000 titles not in the store in the back).

The store is next to Dr. Disc at 22 Wilson St in Hamilton. Store hours Sat and Sun are 10 AM till 6 PM.

quote:

Originally posted by SPalmer:

Anyone in the Hamilton area looking for deals on jazz, psych or afrobeat stuff on LP or CD should drop by where I work, Sonic Unyon Store. We have a sale on for three days (two days left) and everything in the store and in our warehouse is available in the deal - buy two items at regular price and you get a third item of equal or lesser value for free.

We don't have a lot of jamband stuff per se, but we have a lot of stuff that people would enjoy for sure - too much to mention. And if it's not on the shelf, ask them to look it up in the computer as we may have it in the warehouse in the back (trust me, there's about 30,000 titles not in the store in the back).

The store is next to Dr. Disc at 22 Wilson St in Hamilton. Store hours Sat and Sun are 10 AM till 6 PM.

Hey Sean, was it you who I bought that Be Good Tanyas cd off of a few days ago? Chinatown.. Someone had to fetch it from the back. My parents are diggin' it! (although Blue Horse is way better IMO). Costed a few bucks more than it did at Future Shop but I was glad to support the little guy.

quote:

Originally posted by KevO:

QUOTE]Hey Sean, was it you who I bought that Be Good Tanyas cd off of a few days ago? Chinatown.. Someone had to fetch it from the back. My parents are diggin' it! (although Blue Horse is way better IMO). Costed a few bucks more than it did at Future Shop but I was glad to support the little guy.

Wasn't me, I haven't worked since Christmas. I guess they're being nice to me since we have a baby now.

Bouche and I went to Best Buy with my brother-in-law on Boxing day. There was a line-up to get in the store! [Eek!] Then the store was so damned packed I felt claustraphobic and the lines for cashiers were wrapped around the entire store. We left without buying anything. We did pick up the Beatles, Let It Be - Naked album at the Future Shop. It's fantastic.

Archived