Jambands.ca

Kitchener needs more shows!

MamaPink

I'd say there were definitely more people at the Starlight Jomomma/SFG show than at the Lanc nero/SFG show. I think there were slightly over 200 paying customers at the Lanc show, and I know the capacity of the Starlight is higher than that. Having said that, the place did seem to empty out a bit and by midway through Jomomma's set there was definitely room for more people in the venue.

I think the Starlight is a solid live music venue in a great location. An in-house p.a. system really helps make life easier, and the location and reputation of the place ensures that a group of people come out to the show in addition to the people that are willing to travel specifically for the bands. Let's face it, you don't get walk-in traffic at the Lanc. Don't get me wrong, I love the Lanc, I think it's a great sounding room, it's got lots and lots of character, and it's an "anything goes" kind of place, but the Starlight is in an ideal location and they've invested money into the sound system and into advertising. Plus it's a natural progression for them from the Jane Bond, which was a really funky place but way too small. I think both venues are as nice or nicer than most other venues I've been to of a comparable size.

As for a larger venue, I'm not sure what to suggest, and I'm not sure how much of a demand there would be for one. With the right bands and the right promo a bigger room could be filled up, but I don't know how often. It would be fun to try a bigger show though ...

OK, that's enough of an afternoon babble from me ...

Peace, Mark

well ...

as for the starlight... what do you think the capacity was? i think its the same as the lanc or more (if calculated by square footage). around 200+ ? i would even dare say there were as many or more people than the Nero show at the Lanc. maybe Mark knows the Nero show headcount. the starlight loves the $$. over $1600 at the door.. and they ran out of a few different beers and had to go steal some from Jane Bond. i dunno what the payout for the bands was but that place made a killing saturday night. they even sold all the show posters at $5 a pop! plus what other venue around here has a house PA, tech, and lightshow?

the reason the place filled up so fast (imho) is that there were a PILE of people out for the show that you would not normally see at a jam show. correct me if i am wrong. LMP pointed out to me everyone there from jambands that she knew... alot! .. but it was only a small fraction of the total.

it does suck that ANYONE was turned away... we had a car load that came from an hour away to see us only to get shut down at the door. that bites.. i totally understand and sympathize with that. it would of been nice if they stretched the capacity a little. that said.. it was a learning experience. i'm sure no one thought the place would be MAXED OUT by 10:30. now we know.

isn't the whole point of throwing a show to try to fill the venue to capacity? it that not the feather in the cap of the bands and promoters?

i hate to disagree...but i do. i think that club is perfect for live entertainment. not beinging big enuff for Nero or Diesel Dog? i disagree. i think its just right. the only downsides being.. ya gotta get there really early to get in if there is good entertainment (like DD or Nero), and its not so head friendly.

i'm just playing devil's advocate here, so please no one get upset with me for offering an alternate view. i liked the place.

Archived