Jambands.ca

Kitchener needs more shows!

MamaPink

quote:

Originally posted by Qu'est-ce que c'est?:

kitchener folks need to get outta town more often.

huh? Yo Cracky McCrackboy, whatcho talkin bout foo? I think you mean, "More people in kitchener need to get their own vehicles"

Cary! Thanks for having us over after the show. Good times man!

well actually there is alot of music in k-w but there has been a shortage of places to play... and interested people to set up events. until we met Mark Tonin we had to put on every local show we played on our own. not easy when your an 8 pc band with no $$. most of our shows were in conjuction with MUCH heavier bands.. of which there seem to be more of than groove/funk/jam. we've always joked that there is no scene in k-w... but slowly its changing.

like... who here knows what 33 1/3 Queen st is about? that place has housed bands since the 70's!

there are other solid bands around the area too.. but because there have been limitted venues you don't hear about them. They tend to play out of town or even move away from here to a more gig-rich area.

anyone heard of SAMSARA? (not the BC version) props to Scott (you owe me!) and that group of talented musicians who have pretty much limitted themselves to writing and recording because there's no where to play without driving an hour+ and to only make a couple hundred bucks.

we're hoping to do some 'gig-exchanges' with a few bands from out of town in order to generate more interest and bring more music here. I think that'll get things going in a small way. fingers crossed.

anyway...

i tend to turn to an environmentalist approach when it comes to live music...

Think globally. Act locally.

It applies i think.

Thanks for the props 6ftgroove. There is lots of great live music out there, but it is difficult for bands to get exposure. Heck, I've lived in K-W for the last 20 years and I'm still pleasantly surprised to find bands like Six Foot Groove playing in my city. Lots of great music is being made by talented people, but the market is only so big, and people are only willing to go out so often and spend so much money on entertainment. Plus many bars are unwilling to invest the time and money required to create a live music venue that is financially viable. For whatever reasons, many people seem to prefer hitting up a night club with DJ's, or they prefer doing something else, and as a result, live music venues end up being few and far between. This is not a criticm of people or a criticism of the night clubs, it's just the way it is in a lot of cases. As a result, grass roots live music ends up being a "labour of love" for many of the people involved ... the musicians, the promoters, etc.

I agree that KW needs more shows, and I hope that the Starlight continues to book bands that the people that visit this web site have grown to love. I also hope to be able to run a few shows in the future, although as I've mentioned, it usually ends up being a labour of love more than a money-making venture, and unfortunately there is only so much time and energy available for things that don't pay the bills. Having said that, it is a huge buzz putting on a show, especially when people are so willing to pitch in to help and come out to support the shows like they have in KW. I also think that part of the reason that the shows in this region have been so successful is that they happen fairly infrequently ... it's a special event when they happen in this town, so people come out.

Thanks for listening to my morning babble ...

Peace, Mark

Point taken mark and 6foot'ah but is there somewhere that can support a DD and fat cats or nero or your mother show properly so that we're not spending a half an hour at the door trying to get tigger's lady in to the place? OK so it was like five minutes but a couple friends of mine who are usually at all the Lanc shows missed it due to small capacity. I thought the Lanc was kinda small but starlight apparently hates the money that more people would spend, not just at the door but at the bar.

If we build it... they WILL come!!! All we need is the venue. If Guelph, a smaller city compared to K + W + Cambridge + Guelph, can support shows why can't we? I think Marks right about people being surprised and excited when shows happen here, but how can we change that to people excited about the bands thems4elves enough to support friends?

Personally I think there are far to many conflicting bookings. There were three nights of nero and I had to miss them all for shows that I couldn't have seen again for months or years. I want to support these guys but the dates are always a conflict. Maybe that website people were talking about on another thread would help, not just those who want to find out about shows but those who plan them as well.

onelove

thinking out loud [big Grin]

Archived