Jambands.ca

Show Sources???

Swifty

man the boston fleet 20th show i have, the crowd ruins the show man, i now have 2 shiney new coasters

but the dave n trey show taped from 4rth row sounds sweet, i thought the dave n friends woulda sounded like shit being that close, on the floor,, lots of crowd etc

neummans i believe are considered the best mics, but are the hardest to use, so unless you know what yoru doing, you get a crappy recording.

i think scheops are the most forgiving...

akg are good entry level mics....excellent quality for price.

but most imporant is mic position and type of room.

one of my favorite shows i own is the AT Oysterhead source taped by Train.

Those mics are just about the cheapest entry level mics around...

if you have any individual questions about source or transfer, ask here...

actually, a pair of Neumann's, Schoeps or B&K's(DPA's) would hit you over $3000...some well over that.

AKG makes a wide range of mics, the ones typically used for taping(SE300/CK91's or 451's) are high end small diaphragm.

AT does the same, with newer higher end offerings(4040, 4033 etc) as well as their lower range stuff.

Small diaphragm mics(schoeps, AKG SE300/91's, octava 012) tend to be less bass heavy and exhibit less bass-build up than large diaphragm mics(Neumann U89, ADK 51's, AKG 414's) Small diaphragms are also more accurate in regards to high end detail/transients...ie cymbals.

but that's all just jibber jabber...Stube's right about the mic position and room...also the polar pattern of the mics used and if it's right for the venue...

Most live taping doesn't allow for 'testing' ie trying something and listening to the playback....unfortunate as that really basically leaves it up to good intentions and luck. Skill doesn't come into play if you have no idea what you're mics are 'hearing' and you won't without a separate room to hear them in. (mmmmm remote truck)

Explains why people throw so much money at good mic's, as the more costly they are usually equates better accuracy.

But, sometimes hypercardioids or shotgun mics are the best as they are very directional and pointed at the speakers, they pick up what the speaker stacks are putting out...other times a mic in omni that pics up the whole room and vibe is best....sometimes non-accurate mics can smooth out problems that high-end mics accentuate.

I've noticed even the best mics can sound bad in the wrong place...If the sound system is poorly mixed or bass heavy or the room sucks(think arenas in general...lots to overcome) or the stereo spread of the mics is to small/great for the venue. Other times there are limiting factors

like stand height, tapers section placement etc...lots can go wrong, it's a game of chance.

OK. Here's a list of what would be considered to be an acceptable microphone source for any given show. Doesn't mean it's going to be the shit, but chances are you're going to do alright. For arena shows, note that the MK41/CMC6 and CCM41 tend to sound best, as they more directional and reject more crowd noise.

Soundfield ST-250-Check out the onstage Kimock sources done on this one--THE SHIT.

B&K/DPA4011/4021/4022/4023

For stealth shows: DPA4060/4061 AKA HEB

Schoeps MK4/CMC6, MK41/CMC6**(best source for anything far back, like an arena type show), CCM4, **CCM41(same as above)

Neumann SKM140(or KM140, or AK40/50>KM100), TLM170, U87, U89, KM184

Gefell MG200/MG210

Earthworks SR77/SR78

AKG C460/C480

Archived