Jambands.ca

Anybody seen The Passion?

Velvet

i seriously look forward to this movie.

I need to see a seemingly realistic depiction of jesus.

think about it...he can't be ultra nice all the time...he's got to be a badass somehow. I hope they make him out to be what i would assume he was(assuming the bible is based on some sort of truth) - a smart interesting guy that had some crazynew ideas...generally those people are troublemakers.

i just hope that if there's a sex scene in the movie i don't hear the lady scream 'OH GOD!'

was jesus shifty? i sure hope so. i mean he travelled all the way to india. he's got to have picked up something along his travels. he likely learned how to not take crap from people.

someone had to step up and say 'if everyone was nice to everyone and understood how important it is to not hate then things would be better for all'...it was a time where people needed to be able to chill out and i think that it's another time like that. this movie is likely what it'll take to smarted a few people up.

about the anti-semitism? just because a movie hints at the situation doesn't mean people should hate jews.

although i don't like people to hate people for no real reason, i hope that if it turns people sour someone can stand up and tell people how retarded they are for following a movie's lead.

and second tube...you're fuggin hilarious

quote:

Dont you have a Cavern show to attend?

and for the record, i think we all have a cavern show to attend. they're not too shabby anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

The Bible is promoting hate. That whole bit about offering a get-out-of-jail free card and letting the jews ultimately decide that Jesus should die on the cross was a bit of anti-semetic propoganda in an effort to promote the new christian church.

Yeh, obviously Velvet I don't know as much about this as you, but I did hear someone talking the other day (it was either CBC Radio or some A&E-type TV thing, can't remember which) about the fact that the New Testament was, when it was written, a political document as well as one of faith. The Romans were still in power when it was written, and the Christians actually wanted to bring the Romans around to their side (which of course they eventually did 300 years later with Constantine). Giving the Romans an "out" as to having killed the Christ themselves was most likely revisionist history, not an attempt at anti-semitism.

I'm not an expert but I have read the New Testament, and this interpretation certainly makes sense to me.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Agreed. What I meant was for those that say the movie is promoting hate, I say they should look at the source material. I don't think the gnostics were written to promote hate. John's was certainly a book of faith, Matthew and Mark fairly historical and Luke (it is said) was written with a leaning towards Christianity (which didn't exist in when Matthew, Mark, and Luke were written).

...the "bible" itself exists in MANY different forms/text, and is a true product of interpretation, as Mr. M pointed out, like it or not - a political document. The historical examples of this are everywhere.

To this day, there is a museum in Scandinavia somewhere (my former boss was there) where they store many of these original texts, and believe me, there are literally hundreds.

Makes you wonder when you realize how in some cases, entire faiths or movements are based around a single passage, sentence, and in some cases, a single word.

Kinda scary. Actually, very scary.

My friend Randy at work saw it with his girlfriend.

He said "GO SEE IT".

I wanted to ever since I heard mel was making this movie (remember Braveheart again), but I thought I'd share what he said.

He was brought up a catholic, learned all of the same damn stories I was forced to learn, so knowing the general story makes the movie mean alot more on many many levels.

Archived