Jambands.ca

Anybody seen The Passion?

Velvet

Haven't yet.......I bet it ends up being the highest grossing movie of all time. With all the hype....CRAZY!

There are church groups going to see this together.....and the news reported that a lady had a fatal heart attack during the crucifixion scene [Eek!]

As an aside, I'm reading a book right now called, "Farewell to God", a book written by Charles Templeton.....who in his "glory" was a leading evangelist with Bill Graham. He speaks of the reasons why he denounces the Christian faith and deems the Bible as more or less creative folklore. Pretty interesting!

I am curious to see this movie. There has been a lot of hype and controversy on it. Apparently the movie is borderline anti semetic..and people are fearing that it will actually promote hate towards people after. I wonder if the message is actually that strong

a

The Bible is promoting hate. That whole bit about offering a get-out-of-jail free card and letting the jews ultimately decide that Jesus should die on the cross was a bit of anti-semetic propoganda in an effort to promote the new christian church. Mel didn't write it, Luke did! Though I haven't seen the movie, so maybe there was some extra hate thrown in, I don't know.

Didn't get that religion degree for nothing! Actually, I guess I did.

I dont know. in the past I have heard that Mel has the hate..i think it has to be seen though to judge whether he promotes it. I saw an interview with him and he kind of skirted around the issue.

I am sure that everyone will have their own view point once they see it, depending on what your background is.

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

The Bible is promoting hate. That whole bit about offering a get-out-of-jail free card and letting the jews ultimately decide that Jesus should die on the cross was a bit of anti-semetic propoganda in an effort to promote the new christian church. Mel didn't write it, Luke did! Though I haven't seen the movie, so maybe there was some extra hate thrown in, I don't know.

Didn't get that religion degree for nothing! Actually, I guess I did.

Don't talk shit about something you obviously know nothing about.

And fo rthe rest of you, If you don't like the book, you ain't gonna like the movie...

Uh...sorry?

edited to add: You're right, I wasn't there, so I don't know anything about it other than what the books and the profs say. Didn't mean to step on anybodies toes, again, sorry.

And I like the book quite a bit, but I'm still afraid I won't like the film.

I read a review that said the jewish characters in the movie are mainly depicted as one-dimensional badguys, so maybe it takes the theme and runs with it. I'll shut up now, I haven't seen the movie.

Sorry about the heated comment, I was just in a huge arguement about the movie witha few friends and they just had no idea what they were talking about....

It also seems that so much of the media and the critics keep commenting on the movie when they really have no background in christianity. From a catholic perpective, I feel that people are personally attacking me and my religion more then people say this movie is anti-semetic and attcking hte jews. But nobody seems to see that....

Catholics and Christians are gonna take a lot of heat over this one.

I just hope everybody can realize that from a cinematic perspective, ignoring the motives and moral implications this movie is fenominal.

Also that this movie is a piece of art created by a very dedicated group who put a lot on the line. Like any peice of art it speaks on behalf of the artist and I believe that in this piece Mel Gibson is a very good artist.

Once again, If you don;t like the book you are gonna like the movie..

quote:

Originally posted by Siloet:

Also that this movie is a piece of art created by a very dedicated group who put a lot on the line. Like any peice of art it speaks on behalf of the artist and I believe that in this piece Mel Gibson is a very good artist.

i think that is an important point - it is some person/peoples' interpretation, subject to all of their personal biases, artistic license, and so on. i don't know enough about the bible to make any real educated comments about it. i just hope that if it does run the risk of breeding anti-semitism, people who see it will have the education to take it with a big grain of salt. a block of salt, maybe. i think the whole thing is weird.

Christians and Catholics take a lot of heat over a lot of things.... as do Muslims, Jews, Christian Scientists, Unitarians, Rastafarians, etc. etc. etc. etc.....

There's a reason for the heat - dogmatism does not evolve and it has a very short shelf life, therefore, all of these stale, mouldy religions are getting in the way of human progress by creating self-righteous, intolerant war mongers.

quote:

Originally posted by weezy:

There's a reason for the heat - dogmatism does not evolve and it has a very short shelf life, therefore, all of these stale, mouldy religions are getting in the way of human progress by creating self-rightious, intolerant war mongers.

I like that statement!!! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by weezy:

There's a reason for the heat - dogmatism does not evolve and it has a very short shelf life, therefore, all of these stale, mouldy religions are getting in the way of human progress by creating self-rightious, intolerant war mongers.

I'm not sure how religions that promote tolerance can create "intolerant war mongers".

As for Dogmatism not 'evolving' that statement is very questionable to say the least.

And as far as human progress is concered it can be argueed that he lack of religious beliefs has caused us to regress.

The real problem is not in the religions, it is the people in the world who blindly follow them without knowing what they are about, as well as those who don't follow them and comment on them as if they knew what they are about.

Ignorance is causing the problems Weezy has stated not forms of dogmatism.

I really want to see this movie, but I hear it has ultra graphic violence, and I really have a hard time watching that sort of stuff. I still get pretty freaked out when I think of the hobbling scene in that Steven King movie (shudder).

Anybody seen it and wanna offer up advice?

I don't think that I could possibly stomach this movie -- I have a hard time with imagining/seeing someone in pain. And from what I understand, that is basically what this movie's focus is on.

It would be interesting though to see how the story is told. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John have written their sides of the story -- which one will Mel focus on? Or will he mesh them together? I'm also curious as to why he decided to do this movie.

I think what I would be upset with is if Mel changes the story -- whether he leaves out important events or adds something new.

What I'm already upset with is the marketing. How many thousands of pewter nail pendants have they sold already? It's grotesque. When I see one of those nails, I think of the evil. I remember as a child in church, I would stare on the picture of Jesus nailed to the cross, and those nails would make me shudder. I can't imagine wearing one around my neck.

So in the end, I will not be seeing this movie.

Besides, I already know how it ends.

Most religions have at their heart a basically good message, though history reveals that vast multitudes of people have (and do) suffered the most grevious of harms in the name of religion. Quite a paradox.

Y'know, I think that the problem is inherent in the system. All religions require a leap of faith of some kind. No problem, faith in a god that tries to direct humankind towards good is fine. Problem is, we have little source material on god. Take the Christian god for example: the only "direct" info we have on God is the Bible, and in my (fairly extensive) experience, most devotees aren't really encouraged to read the Bible much.

There is, however, a great deal of second hand information on God available. That is, what people will tell you about God. Every preacher, every evangelist, every Pope, everybody has their own opinions on the ever-mysterious gods, and those are the people that followers place their faith in. With so little "direct" contact with God, the leap of faith that most people take lands in the lap of the people that represent their religion; the clergy, their congregation, their Christian radio announcer. Those people are not gods, they all have different interpretations and we don't know their motives are pure.

So what if everyone reads the Bible on their own instead of going to church? Well, I still think that everybody's interpretations would be different, but I think there might be less mis-guided hate.

Though (as an aside) in Revelation, Jesus does hate the Nicolataines. Or at least he hates what they do. I asked a few profs about the Nicolataine, and it seems nobody knows who they were. Coincidence?

Archived