Jambands.ca

Fri Mar 12 Benefit Show for SHADY GROVE in Hamilton

shainhouse

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to sweeten the show a little,Rory has signed on to bring The Gratefully Deadicated Sound System to The Shady Grove show on the 12th. He will be playing all your favourite Dead songs in between sets and a late set after the bands are finished. Should go late.

As a side note,here's a true story for yall if you have the time.

Before we opened Pepper Jack's we never had any intention of booking bands there. Being a restaurant was our main objective. The space was huge and to make it look full we needed a lot of people. Lunches were great but after the business day ended, so did the crowds. Downtown Hamilton doesn't have a lot of people living there like most other cities do. It was obvious that with such space we should do other things like shows or DJ's.

Being brand new to Hamilton, I booked a band from T.O. called Hot Buttered Soul. I asked a friend where a good spot to put some posters up would be. She told me of a girl named Julie, up on the mountain that goes to a lot of shows and has a lot of friends and a store called Shady Grove. So I went to Shady Grove and met this Julie.What a sweet girl. She was more than happy to put my poster in the window. We talked for a while and It was clear to me this girl was 100% kindness.

Anyway, I had this Idea.

When I lived in Van there was a Grateful Dead night on Wednesdays at The Piccadily Pub. It did really well for a while, tapes were the medium back then and they showed old Dead movies on a movie screen. It kind of tapered out though, I think it was the same people that then started Upstream Entertainment. Anyway, I thought this was a good idea for our place. I mentioned this to Julie and she told me of this guy Rory that has 1000+ hours of Dead shows on CD and actually puts on shows for fun. She told me she'de track down his number. Next time I saw her at her store she had his number for me. Bingo. Within a couple weeks we had started up our first Grateful Dead Wednesdays at PJC. The numbers weren't as big as Vancouver but we did get a nice crowd of Deadheads and back then we could open the windows and crank the tunes out on the Patio without many complaints from By-law people. Julie always came and Rory always took requests.

It was cool having people show up telling me they could hear the Dead from three blocks away reverberating off the downtown buildings.

At this time Jay Cleary from The Aaron McDonald band contacted me to do a show, knowing I had this dead night going on and needed that Wednesday to fill his tour. I obliged.

Even though the numbers were low,that was OK because that's where The Whore walked in. ShowWhore to some, Flowers to me. He had me at hello. Actually he had me after he gave me the Grandtheft Bus and Jimmy Swift Band shows from the May 24 weekend. I had never heard them before and was totally impressed. Soon Shane had them booked and we were on our way. (as another aside The Bus' first show back then had maybe 50 peeps. Their show a couple fridays ago had 200.)

I know I'm rambling so here's my point.

Without Julie or Shady Grove, Pepper Jack's

probaly wouldn't be where it is today. Julie's kindness was the first step in bringing PJC onto the scene. For that,I am forever grateful.

In a way,anyone who's had a good night or dug a band we've brought in,also owes a little gratitude towards Julie. The fact that someone who Julie had trusted and befriended could break into and rob her store twice and then having some other kid do it again a couple months later, sickens me. Needless to say, it has been a cripling blow to her business and the money we raise will go to help her get bars in her windows and hopefully ease the burden of her debt. 100% of the door will go to Julie as well as a percentage of our bar sales. Anyone who goes to shows at PJC knows her or has probaly seen her. She has been a great supporter of us and our bands.

Anywho, thanks for your time, and I hope to see many of you there. The Acousticats are the opener so please get there early. Maybe 9pm.

Peace

KC

Just a reminder to evereyone going to the show that The Acouticats are the opener, so please get there early.

Most people may be used to them going on late.

We're shooting for 9:00pm

There's also going to be some door prizes.

As well, there could be a Gratefully Deadicated afterparty.

Steve Stongman and Jesse O'Brien are playing from 5-8 but this is a seperate gig. You can still pay the door and see these guys though.

got a call a few hours ago and am pleased to announce there will be a keg party after the bar with the Gratefully Deadicated Sound System comin back to spin at James' new pad (good host of the infamous Wassabi parties and the annual Pisces party) [big Grin][big Grin]

also, $2.00 raffle tickets will be available to win:

2 Bela Fleck and The Flecktones tickets (thanks Kick It Down Promotions)

2 Toronto Maple Leafs tickets (thanks to Lisa, Jay and Alison)

2 Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings tickets (thanks Kenny from PJC)

possible 2 Blue Jays tix (waiting for confirmation)

and loads of other cool donated prizes.

Archived