Jambands.ca

Bertuzzi Got What He Deserved

Jaimoe

quote:

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

Oh, I see. So, a crime committed by a hockey player isn't a "real" crime for some reason? That is absolutely ludicrous.

I think it's pretty fucking obvious that the "hockey people" are doing a pretty shitty job of "polic[ing] hockey."

Perhaps being into the game you would understand that comment Wil,watching one sided highlights,news etc or not being into hockey (as you mentioned)really doesn't help to understand the politics of it, this wasn't considerd a "crime" the law investigated,if they had figured it was then they would have done somthing,just like when McSorley was charged.

Although I agree there is some piss poor officiating(sp?) happening this year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It was the Vancouver Canucks, their fans and media that continually whined about Moore's legal hit ( no penalty called ) on Naslund that caused, in large part, this escalation of retribution."

"I'm not blaming the media and fans, but they can add to the problem."

Come again Jaimoe?

I fail to see how you dont blame the fans......

"In my eyes, Leaf Nation looked pretty stupid after Alfredson hit Tucker a couple of spring's ago, but if retribution had been paid and Alfie was hurt, would anyone in their right mind blame the media/fans?"

No, the media that report hockey in Canada are mostly leaf fans. now way would they blame themselves.

On the suspension I think its fairly stiff and is setting one hell of a precedent for a sucker punch. Tough to say another players sucker punch down the road that does not do damage as severe as this deserves to get off with a lighter sentence.

To me the NHL has never dealt with suspension correctly. Its hit and miss, with less media coverage the punishment is usually soft. What Bertuzzi did was obviously stupid and wrong and I dont really care if Bertuzzi misses the rest of the season. Bert could throw that punch 50 more times and would likely never get that result. maybe moore has a lindros type melon? lets hope not but who knows.

what did suter get for cross checking kariya in the face causing him to miss the olympics and a year of hockey? not too much cant remember exactly but that is much worse than a sucker punch gone wrong. hell i think what havlat did to recchi is just as bad, he just got lucky. The NHL disciplinary system is a joke, there is no guidelines for them to follow, it is like they pull the number of games out of a hat sometimes.

eastcoastdaveo: Yes he should be able to play in the world cup for the same reason suter played for the states when kariya sat at home with his concussion.

Jamoie: SUN hockey columnists should never be quoted during hockey discussions. Unless it is to say how idiotic they are.

NHL: Body checks directed at the head of other players should be illegal in the first place. odds are there is an intent to injure there also.

GET WELL SOON MOORE!

To follow up on what Seven Seas Jim said, parents will tolerate and sometimes encourage coaching styles that belittle, humiliate, or sometimes even physically harm their child. All because they want the child to win, to make the NHL, to make the Olympics, to get a university scholarship. And not just in hockey. I've seen it in many sports, including recently in gymnastics and figure skating.

The solution to "dirty hockey" and negative behaviour in general has got to start with parents, coaches, and fans. Players and children will do what is encouraged and expected and tolerated.

Peace, Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Tissue Man:

Jamoie: SUN hockey columnists should never be quoted during hockey discussions. Unless it is to say how idiotic they are.

GET WELL SOON MOORE!

So-be-it. However, I like Steve Simmons' articles. He's a good boxing writer ( not as good as the Globe's Steven Brunt ) and he usually makes good points hockey-wise. Plus he stated fact when he listed past Bertuzzi incidents. I'll take Strachan and Simmons over Toronto Star's Damien Cox and Chris Zelkovitch any day.

I'm lost in most of the sporty garble in this thread, but I will add this:

Hockey is a contact sport. There is a certain amount of violence/aggression that is acceptable and expected in the game. Having said that, there is, from what I understand, ettiquette(whether written or not) that accompanies these "hits" or "checks". However, if a player decides to employ a check or a hit outside the boundaries known to the game, then he should be punished regardless of the injury incurred by the receiving party. Unfortunately, hockey uses severity of injury to police penalties(ie-more time in the penalty box if you draw blood).

My opinion, if you make a physically agressive move outside an actual play, then you should be punished. I don't mean to denounce fights between two players that are both consenting to fight, I'm talking about cheap shots like this Bertuzzi guy did.

If there were REAL concequences for players who did this, they would think twice about risking their career over some guy who pissed them off the week before(or whatever the situation)

quote:

Originally posted by Esau:

Perhaps being into the game you would understand that comment Wil,watching one sided highlights,news etc or not being into hockey (as you mentioned)really doesn't help to understand the politics of it, this wasn't considerd a "crime" the law investigated,if they had figured it was then they would have done somthing,just like when McSorley was charged.

Just to clarify my opinions. I love hockey. I think that it is one of the fastest, most exciting sports on the planet. However, I can barely stand to sit through a period of an NHL game. The playoffs become slightly more tolerable and the Stanley Cup offers some entertainment. However, what really catches my attention is World Cup, Olympic, and Junior World Championships. That's hockey to me. Take the "meathead factor" out and leave the sport behind.

I know that's not a popular point of view (I have lots of friend into hockey) but it's my point of view and dammit, I'm entitled to it. [Wink]

Wi!!y, what you are saying makes perfect sense to me. In my opinon, hockey is a much better sport when the goon factor is taken out. Dirty hockey is boring to watch, in my humble opinion.

Earlier this evening on "As It Happens" on CBC Radio I heard some guy interviewed ... I wish I could remember his name or position ... I think he used to be "the man" with Hockey Night in Canada ... help me out anyone if you know who I'm talking about. I was happy to hear him say that ultimately the league/coaches/commissioner are responsible for the sad state of hockey, including the Bertuzzi incident and the goon factor. From what I can tell Wi!!y, he agrees with your viewpoint, and mine as well. I'm glad that some hockey "experts" agree with my point of view on the problems with the sport. Let's get hockey players playing hockey, with more of a focus on end-to-end action, passing, skating and scoring chances.

But hey, I can't call myself a hockey fan these days, so who am I to argue with hockey fans? Just like who am I to argue with what gets played on the radio? I rarely turn on the radio to find music that I enjoy listening to, and similarly, I rarely turn on the television set to find a hockey game that I enjoy watching. I guess that's why I rarely watch hockey (or tv at all). But if people like watching NHL hockey, hey, that's ok with me. It's just not for me.

Peace, Mark

Archived