Jambands.ca

Bertuzzi Got What He Deserved

Jaimoe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He still may not play next...(even if there is a season) they will discuss it prior to training camp...

As for the World Cup...even if he is elegible to play I don't think he'd even get chosen...I still don't even know what to think about this escapade anymore...Let's forget it and get on with the race and the playoffs...

Bonk back tonight baby YEAH!!!

quote:

Originally posted by SevenSeasJim:

P.S. - Jaimoe, you could probably dig up a list like that about more than a few hockey players.

Yes, I could dig up a list on other hockey players and athletes from other sports too. But we're talking about Bertuzzi.

"In fact, the Canucks and their fans deserve this as much as Todd. It was the Vancouver Canucks, their fans and media that continually whined about Moore's legal hit ( no penalty called ) "

Jaimoe, I dont have much to say to you other than if you think the Canuck fans were a part of this, I'd suggest taking your mouth off the pipe this morning and take a cold shower. That's a slippery slope argument that has no substantial evidence. I take a lot of personal offense to that statement above.

It's an unprecedented suspension, but probably deserved.

On behalf of all remorseful and disappointed Canuck fans, let's hope this black mark disappears quickly.

greasyfizeek

quote:

Steve, I had been hearing it was only a fracture from the start.

hmmm, when i saw the interview with Vancouver's coach, he's the one who reported the broken neck.

the next day (today) they downgraded it to a fractured neck, or i've even heard displaced disc in his back...

either way, he's sore...but thankfully its not a broken neck.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

You are suspended without pay in the NHL. Other pro leagues are far more lenient. Bertuzzi's fine will be over half-a-million dollars. Marty McSorely was fined a million for his high-stick on Donald Brashear.

Just to clarify, suspended without pay is different than being fined. Bertuzzi will forfeit the estimated $1 million he would make for the rest of the season to the Alumni Players Fund of the NHL / NHLPA.

This is different than a fine. Fines to players can only be a maximum of $1000, according the the NHLPA / NHL collective bargaining agreement.

Cheers

AD

quote:

Originally posted by greasyfizeek:

"In fact, the Canucks and their fans deserve this as much as Todd. It was the Vancouver Canucks, their fans and media that continually whined about Moore's legal hit ( no penalty called ) "

Jaimoe, I dont have much to say to you other than if you think the Canuck fans were a part of this, I'd suggest taking your mouth off the pipe this morning and take a cold shower. That's a slippery slope argument that has no substantial evidence. I take a lot of personal offense to that statement above.

It's an unprecedented suspension, but probably deserved.

greasyfizeek

With the media, especially sports radio talk call-in shows constantly ( 24 hours a day ) taking calls from fans that harp on everything Canucks, especially the so-called " cheap hit " on Naslund, I think that including Vancouver fans into the Bertuzzi situation is warranted. Brian Burke and Jovonovski have proved that they listen to The Team radio station and have responded to disparate Canucks fans in the past. The Canucks players listen to that station. If what they hear is constant talk of the Moore hit, it'll eventually lead to an escalation of emotions about the situation in question.

And by the way, as a non drug user, I'm personally offended by your " take your mouth off the pipe and take a cold shower " comment.

Well I guess i shouldn't lump Simmons in with Strachan who really is a joke as far as i'm concerned.

I read most of the article and Simmons should not have listed his incidents from junior. 15-18yr old kids always do stupid things. how does Simmons know that for no apparent reason other than jealousy he punched out O'neil? was he hanging around with them 24/7 to see what really went on? just dumb things to list in my opinion they dont have anything to do with what happened.

Strachan is entertaining if not always accurate - or rarely for that matter. He does stir up shit however.

You can list past incidents. If he had one incident as a junior then I don't think it would be relevant: But Todd has had a few incidents worth noting.

I think he got what he desrved period. The thing that is bothering me about this situation the most though is everyone and their brother writing another article or having their two minutes of fame in front of the camera when they have no clue what they are talking about. If you have not played a sport at that high a level you cannot possibly understand what was goin through Bert's head at that time. I'm not defending his actions (Though maybe I am) but his best friend (Naslund) was hurt by this kid and he wanted it known that it won't happen again. That by no means justifies it, but I truly believe him when he said he didn't mean to hurt the kid. He punched Moore, he was knocked out by it, fell forward and everyone piled on.. I hope the guy recovers, but to say that he should be banned for life and go to jail and shit obviously proves you know nothing about pro level sports. Not to mention some of the other incidents that guys have gotten a lot less for (One that comes to mind is I think Johnson from LA, doing almost the identical thing to Jeff Beukaboom, ending his career and he only got 12 games) The mass media jumped on this and used it as another way to pu a "black mark on Canada'a national pastime". Gimme a break!!

I think that Bertuzzi got exactly what he deserved. If Moore turns out to miss next season also, it's likely that Bettman will ensure Bertuzzi misses it too, and I think that's fair.

It was encouraging to see the Canucks battle last night and eke out a tie, especially with the 3 new players in their lineup in very important spots. Also it was good to see Cloutier play well.

I know I said I was jumping off the bandwagon, but it was a pretty gutsy performance last night by the Canucks.

I think the Leafs are going to win the Eastern Conference though... [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Sheikyerbouti:

let the hockey people police hockey. there's enough other shit goin on that the "real police" need to deal with.

Oh, I see. So, a crime committed by a hockey player isn't a "real" crime for some reason? That is absolutely ludicrous.

I think it's pretty fucking obvious that the "hockey people" are doing a pretty shitty job of "polic[ing] hockey."

The drug comment is a metaphor Jaimoe. Don't over-analyze. I dont know you, you dont know me, and it wasnt said as a truth which reflects your own personal decisions. just a metaphor.

But the fact that you implicate me in all this is simply a false statement. I've got nothing to do with this as a Canucks fan. Everyone has an individual opinion, and you used a blanket statement to make a point that doesnt exist. cause and effect does not work like that.

I'm spent, and this is the last thing i'll say on this post. Obviously a trying time to be a Canucks fan, to say the least.

greasy

Esau said

quote:

You have to expect some sort of dirty play in hockey,I know after 16 years of playing hockey myself up to Jr.C & Jr.B and OHL try-out and having my back fractured (which ended my hockey career)you cannot expect it to be played by the rules.Even though I was hit in an agressivley dirty fashion that caused my injury,it was certianly not the guys intent to hurt me like that.

I agree with Esau's assessment of the way hockey is played in Canada, but it makes me sad, and pisses me off. Maybe I'm an idealist, but does it really have to be played this way?!? Expecting dirty play and physical violence?!? This is "Canada's sport" and players, coaches, parents and fans accept "dirty hockey" and buy into it. Yes, people will make mistakes and break rules, and I can accept that, but what bugs me is that our hockey system is set up so that we buy into the idea that it's part of the game, and we teach and coach and cheer our players with the idea that dirty hockey is an expected part of the game. I certainly don't want my child playing hockey if the people involved (coaches, players, parents, etc.) are going to do things that encourage that sort of behaviour rather than discourage it.

It's ok to accept that people might break the rules and make mistakes, but let's not add to it with our coaching and training. For example, young hockey players with NHL potential are sometimes told that they will only see more ice time if they hit more, fight more, and act more aggressively. Teams hire goons. Parents scream and yell at their children to "hit the bastard." Coaches support and encourage "revenge" on the ice, or at the least they turn a blind eye to it. Players laugh and joke about fighting like it's a comedy show.

Instead of coaching players with the expectation that dirty hockey is acceptable, we should be coaching them with the expectation that dirty hockey is unacceptable. I want my child coached by somebody who will tell him that it is wrong to play dirty hockey, and who will punish him for playing that way by not letting him play.

Peace, Mark

If Sundin was hit in a similar fashion, the Toronto media, especially The Fan radio station and it's listeners would never let it rest. However, the Canucks behaved like whining babies after the Moore hit. Listen, I'm not accusing indivduals, but the Canucks community as a whole does not look too good right now.

"If Sundin was hit in a similar fashion, the Toronto media, especially The Fan radio station and it's listeners would never let it rest. However, the Canucks behaved like whining babies after the Moore hit. Listen, I'm not accusing indivduals, but the Canucks community as a whole does not look too good right now."

How does that make it the fans' fault that this happened?

In my eyes, Leaf Nation looked pretty stupid after Alfredson hit Tucker a couple of spring's ago, but if retribution had been paid and Alfie was hurt, would anyone in their right mind blame the media/fans?

Leaf fan looked awful after the Tucker-Alfie hit. They constantly whined. I hate the average Leaf fan that calls into The Fan radio station. Yes, you can generalize them. They have been accused by Pat Quinn as having " a pack mentality ". I agree.

To think a " pack mentality " doesn't exist in other NHL cities like Ottawa and Vancouver is short-sighted.

I'm not blaming the media and fans, but they can add to the problem.

To add to what Mr. Tonin said...I believe that in North American society we are taught to be cut throat (play to win at all costs). It's many Canadian's dream to make it to the NHL, but unfortunately I think it's for the big payday now instead of the love of hockey. To make the big leagues you have to do it at all costs (by being aggressive) unless you are seriously talented (like a Gretzky or Lemieux) Our society promotes this in everything we do. Money Money Money. Parents seem to put up with and promote this kind of behavior because they think that they are going to help their children succeed in making it. This entire Bertuzzi thing is just a symptom of what is wrong with hockey/sports/life in general.

Archived