Jambands.ca

Bertuzzi Got What He Deserved

Jaimoe

Todd Bertuzzi's been suspended for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. Read about it here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=75890

He got what he deserved for that cowardly act. In fact, the Canucks and their fans deserve this as much as Todd. It was the Vancouver Canucks, their fans and media that continually whined about Moore's legal hit ( no penalty called ) on Naslund that caused, in large part, this escalation of retribution. Moore stood-up for himself continually in the game too ( and he's not a fighter ). That takes real guts. Fuck Bertuzzi and the Canucks, you bunch of cowards.

Kiss Bertuzzi's career, the 2004 Stanley Cup and the credibility of the Canucks' front office goodbye.

I'm glad Moore is going to be fine. He's a smart kid with hopefully a good future ahead of him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this last night as the first story in Canadian news at 11......just a question you may know the answer to....Does someone who is suspended for the rest of the year still get paid as much as normal or is that suspended too?Just curious but not curious enough to research for myself!!

quote:

Originally posted by MamaRed:

I saw this last night as the first story in Canadian news at 11......just a question you may know the answer to....Does someone who is suspended for the rest of the year still get paid as much as normal or is that suspended too?Just curious but not curious enough to research for myself!!

You are suspended without pay in the NHL. Other pro leagues are far more lenient. Bertuzzi's fine will be over half-a-million dollars. Marty McSorely was fined a million for his high-stick on Donald Brashear.

Now here's a good topic for conversation -

Should Todd Bertuzzi be allowed to play on Canada's World Cup team in September 2004? Technically he'll still be suspended.

I'm going to look like a hypocrite on this one. As an NHL fan, I think Bertuzzi should be made an example of in an effort to start cleaning up the game. As a Canadian hockey fan, I want to see him on our roster.

Come on Willy, he's a "Free Market" capitalist. You know those guys don't go to jail.

As a side note: While I don't agree with what Todd did, I still have to wonder what the suspension would have been had Moore jumped right up off the ice (5-10 games???) Of course you can never predict the results of ones actions.

i am a big canucks / bertuzzi fan. i DO NOT think this punishment is fair.

rather, i think he should have gotten an extra year. he should have been suspended for the 2004/2005 season as well. it was definately malicious. it was definately pre-meditated. it was definately a moment when someone lost their head. and it was definately an intent to send a message, or hurt.

however, i think if anyone believes that he meant to break his neck. meant to put him in the hospital. meant to end his season. meant to (possibly) end his career, i think you're crazy. i dont think anyone in the game ever intends to break someones neck.

and i think prison time is absolutely ridiculous. c'mon. let the hockey people police hockey. there's enough other shit goin on that the "real police" need to deal with.

i also think the fine should have been steeper on the organization, because i think a large part of this was someone "doing his job"...anyone who's spent any amount of time on a sports team knows what im talking about. it can be as simple as anyone coming up to a player and saying "are you ready for tonite?" *look in the eye, pat on the shoulder, wink*

just my thoughts...

way to go, bert....you fucked up HUGE.

quote:

Originally posted by MamaRed:

Thanks....It's good to know that they don't get away with fuckin up someones life.......jail....I'm not sure on that one....his intention was just to hit him not screw up his life!?!

Exactly.

I do not believe that Bertuzzi was intentionally trying to make it as severe as it turned out to be,although his actions were and are unacceptable in any event.

It certianly didnt help matters that members of both teams piled on him (Moore) after the bullshit that Bertuzzi pulled,that may have been a contributing factor in the severity of his injury.Although he did go face first into the ice,there is no way of telling (now anyway) how bad he was hurt previous to hitting the ice or being piled on.

I am not defending Bertuzzi,I agree he got what he deserved(I think he should have gotten a much bigger fine though) and he did intend to get revenge,but I do not believe he intended to cause as much damage as occured.

McSorley's actions were abit different being that he used a weapon and although I am a huge Bruins fan,I believe that he intended to seriously hurt Brashear.And that in my eyes is a cause for the law to be involved,this on the other hand was a cowardily,dirty attack from behind,to jail Bertuzzi for this would mean they (the law) would have to get involved in ALL other severe actions that cause injury...not only in hockey but any other professional sport.That would be a great waste of taxpayers money.Period.

Just like chronic wife-beaters, Bertuzzi has a history a " snapping ". He is a repeat offender.

From Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun:

This isn't a one-time 'I snapped' kind of determination for Bertuzzi. There is history here. There is a background. There are stories out there to be told.

Like the time in 1991, playing in the Northern Ontario midget championships, when his team was beaten out in the finals by Sault Ste. Marie and he chased the winning team's bus out of the parking lot, swearing and pounding on the windows, out of control.

The next year, his first in the Ontario Hockey League, Bertuzzi missed the end of that season and the beginning of the next when he was suspended 15 games for kicking a Kitchener player.

The year after that, in his own locker room, for no apparent reason other than jealousy, he punched out teammate Jeff O'Neill, who at the time was Guelph's prized first-round pick.

In the NHL, Bertuzzi punched linesman Jean Morin in a 1996 scuffle and ended up suspended for three games before losing 10 more games to suspension for jumping the bench to attack a Colorado player in 2001.

Originally posted by Esau:

And that in my eyes is a cause for the law to be involved,this on the other hand was a cowardily,dirty attack from behind,to jail Bertuzzi for this would mean they (the law) would have to get involved in ALL other severe actions that cause injury...not only in hockey but any other professional sport.That would be a great waste of taxpayers money.Period.

Not necessarily. All players who are involved in a sport in which physical contact is an expected part of the performance have no right to complain about being injured, and the police have no right to interfere. However, when the injury received comed from an action which goes far beyond what a participant could reasonably expect to happen during the course of that game (like what happened with the McSorley/Brashear incident), criminal charges are reasonable. McSorley used the stick not as a hockey stick, but as a weapon. I think it would be fair to say that a sucker-punch could be construed as assault. Legally, whether to Bertuzzi intended to break the guys neck or not is irrelevant - the fact that he intended to cause him physical pain (and was successful in doing so) while engaging in an action which is not a part of the game is enough to justify legal action. He intended to sucker-punch him in the neck, and he did, with serious results. End of story. Of course, Esau's point about everyone piling on afterwards makes it impossible to determine the extent of the injuries caused directly by Bertuzzi's action.

(And don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that fighting isn't a part of hockey, because it is - just like being on the receiving end of some stick-work when you've got the puck. But sucker-punching someone in the neck ain't part of the game, just like being maliciously clubbed in the head with a stick isn't part of the game, either.)

Guest Low Roller

Yesterday's press conference was for show... Bertuzzi choking back tears made me pretty sick.

"I didn't mean to hurt him"

Oh yeah? And what exactly did you mean to do when you suckerpunched him from behind with a closed glove and then drove him into the ice? Tickle him?

Give him a year. And a criminal record.

Anybody else get the feeling that the league will be looking very closely at Ottawa vs. Philadelphia on April 2nd for similar acts of vigilante justice?

Steve, I had been hearing it was only a fracture from the start. It's the same bullshit the media does all the time to make things look worse than they are. You know, the kind of story where a mother beat her kids and the media also tells us that she was a straight "D" student is grade 3.

P.S. - Jaimoe, you could probably dig up a list like that about more than a few hockey players.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

(like what happened with the McSorley/Brashear incident), criminal charges are reasonable. McSorley used the stick not as a hockey stick, but as a weapon.

Guess I forgot to mention the same thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Esau:

McSorley's actions were abit different being that
he used a weapon
and although I am a huge Bruins fan,I believe that he intended to seriously hurt Brashear.

There was no question in what caused Brashears injury.

But no one can say that Bertuzzi's sucker punch caused the complete severity of the injury.Yes,if he hadn't done that then there would'nt have been a pile up on Moore,but then one could say that if the refs called a penalty on the Naslund hit,even though it was clean,perhaps this wouldn't have occured either...and so on and so on.

You have to expect some sort of dirty play in hockey,I know after 16 years of playing hockey myself up to Jr.C & Jr.B and OHL try-out and having my back fractured (which ended my hockey career)you cannot expect it to be played by the rules.Even though I was hit in an agressivley dirty fashion that caused my injury,it was certianly not the guys intent to hurt me like that.

If it can be proved that Bertuzzi intentionally tried to cause that sort of injury then he should be charged,it was obvious with McSorley,hence he was charged.

Also if my post was read entirely it would be obvious that I was NOT condoning his actions.

Archived